• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Watch Out for the Missiles

AVDAD

I'll bet the singed hair on the back of his neck was standing straight up! Feet don't fail me now!

AvDad

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A former VQ CO started out flying H-3's and was 'stationed' on one of the battleships in the Med in the mid to late 80's. They did not have a hangar so they flew off every time they fired the big guns, but they always had some maintainers on the ship to take care of them when they came back.

One of the eager young PO's was a Vietnamese immigrant who was smart, but did not always 'get it'. He and a buddy decided that they wanted to see the big guns fire off a few rounds during a night excercise. They found themselves a little nook where they had a really good view of the guns and they settled in with a camera to record the event for posterity. Well, they did not show up to muster the next morning and the ship did a search for them, and found them knocked out cold in the aformentioned nook. The shock of the first salvo had knocked them out and they did not remember anything past the first flash of the guns. They apparently endured quite a few salvos that night not too much the worse for the wear. After the appropriate punishment (it was light, the CO figured they had already learned their lesson), they got the film developed and discovered the only picture they were able to take was a perfect shot of a shell leaving the tube of one of the 16-inchers with all of the flash and smoke surrounding it. Apparently it was reproduced and used by the ship as a PR photo.

It was a much funnier story as told by said CO, then a DH, in the Bahrain O' Club but I thought it was appropriate in this thread.......:D

BOOM!

8505379.jpg

P.S. One of the two types of ship I would have gladly gone SWO to sail on.