• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War College in residence for SELRES

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
Does anyone have information on, or experience with, doing JPME at NWC as a SELRES? I'm seriously considering applying for one of the upcoming classes, but haven't encountered anyone else who's done it. How selective is the application process? What kind of billets are available to graduates? Upon graduation, do you remain SELRES or are you expected to pay back with a few years of additional active duty? None of these questions are answered in the last several NAVADMINs, which is why I'm asking them here.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My XO in my last unit got one of the slots last year, he should be finishing up soon. I think it is relatively competitive, he is a sharp guy and it took him 4 trys but I also think it is because there are just a few slots. As far as billets I think he just goes back in the regular mix for reserve billets but would defintely have a leg up networking-wise after spending a year in Newport. I think you just incur a few more years reserve commitment and not an active duty one, just expect to be on the RMP soon after since the Navy will defintely get their pound of flech out of you after such a good deal!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've had a few SELRES students in-residence at Newport.
The detailers will mobilize (not sure what the correct Reservist term is) for a year to attend class.
Had a P-3 SELRES and a Hornet SELRES come through while I was there.

I really don't know the process for how it happened, but I would recommend talking to your detailer.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had a few SELRES students in-residence at Newport.
The detailers will mobilize (not sure what the correct Reservist term is) for a year to attend class.
Had a P-3 SELRES and a Hornet SELRES come through while I was there.

I really don't know the process for how it happened, but I would recommend talking to your detailer.

What is a detailer? Seriously, SELRES don't have detailers with few exceptions. That is why he is asking, there really aren't really POCs to get the answers for such things in the reserves and it is ususally left to the individual servicemembers to find out the info through their own contacts.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've seen many of the "FYI" emails for these programs come from the NOSC to the units. If you're in a squadron, the PM or RESFOR Wing (if you have one) may also forward them out.

Theoretically, your unit front office (whatever that may mean to you) should be able to get you the info or connect you with the POC at the NOSC if you drill under a NOSC.

Reconjos, sounds like you're past that point already, but just clarifying.

phrogpilot73

What is a detailer? Seriously, SELRES don't have detailers with few exceptions.
I chuckled a bit when I read this... They SAY we've got monitors on the SMCR side now, but I don't know who he/she is, or what he/she does. I do know that doing stuff in the USMCR more closely matches what you describe in SELRES.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
What is a detailer? Seriously, SELRES don't have detailers with few exceptions. That is why he is asking, there really aren't really POCs to get the answers for such things in the reserves and it is ususally left to the individual servicemembers to find out the info through their own contacts.

In that case: I don't know.

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
Thanks guys. I too do not know who my detailer is (if I have one...) and am also working with my front office to get more info. Keeping my eye on NPC's message board for the info regarding November '13 and February '14 classes. Just trying to get a bigger picture of what to expect from anyone who may have BTDT already.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys. I too do not know who my detailer is (if I have one...) and am also working with my front office to get more info. Keeping my eye on NPC's message board for the info regarding November '13 and February '14 classes. Just trying to get a bigger picture of what to expect from anyone who may have BTDT already.

I've seen civilians and reservists from other services in fleet seminar classrooms. Have you considered that option for JPME and the Masters Program?

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
I have...however, Recovering LSO is heading to NWC in the fall, and since I go where he goes, I figured I might as well try to make our time there doubly productive :) If it doesn't work out for whatever reason, then I'd look into doing the fleet seminar version in coming years.

dustydog

pilot
CNRFC N7 controls the process and the quotas. The put out a quarterly message advertising the board that selects the people that will attend. Sometimes it is extremely selective and sometimes it pays to be one of the few who bother to apply. It's a great deal for anyone that can go, active or reserve. The information is posted on the CNRFC private side under N7. I can put you in touch with the guy who runs the program, just PM me.

Messiah62

I was just picked up for IWO DCO in the reserves. I was thinking about looking into going there after I finish all of my training. It won't be for awhile.