• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Wanting to Join Navy Reserves, Wanting to Know What Rates Are My Options

Esim1315

Hello all,

I'm new here and am wanting some advice. I'm a current USAF civ and I have a BS in Electrical Engineering. I've looked into joining for some time but am unsure what rates would be good for me. I want to research them prior to talking to a recruiter so I know what I want instead of being convinced what I want. I've looked into CWO and EDO but I've heard I'm not competitive enough for EDO. What are some of the other rates that would be good for a EE like me?

Esim1315

What type of work do you do for the USAF?
I am an engineer for the F-16 supply chain group. I essentially am the engineering authority for the flight control systems and core avionics for the aircraft. I provide engineering support for our program office and approve/disapprove contractors

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am an engineer for the F-16 supply chain group. I essentially am the engineering authority for the flight control systems and core avionics for the aircraft. I provide engineering support for our program office and approve/disapprove contractors
Who told you that you were not competitive for EDO?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd look into getting commissioned. Rates are for enlisted and you'd be doing far different work than your day job.

Specifically I'd look at direct commission as an AEDO.

Esim1315

Who told you that you were not competitive for EDO?
I was on r/newtothenavy and a user there said that if I didn’t have a masters (which I currently don’t) that I was uncompetitive for that rate. I had a 3.48 gpa for my undergrad and a graduate degree is on the horizon for me but not for a few years.

exNavyOffRec

I was on r/newtothenavy and a user there said that if I didn’t have a masters (which I currently don’t) that I was uncompetitive for that rate. I had a 3.48 gpa for my undergrad and a graduate degree is on the horizon for me but not for a few years.

unfortunately you are correct, EDO PA requires an advanced degree

AEDO says a graduate degree is "highly preferred" but if you poke around the site there is a thread of those who have applied for AEDO and you can see what they had for backgrounds and degrees.

Here is the list of PA's, the reserve ones are 2XX

SELRES_AMDO

I worked with a lot of reserve AEDOs. Most newer DCOs had a graduate degree. There were some that got in without one but they were fairly senior so it must have been doable at one point.

Esim1315

AEDO sounds a lot like what I do now, and it’s one I didn’t know existed till just now. Thanks! I’ll look into it! What other rates are worth poking at?

Esim1315

Good to know, I’m only familiar with enlisted for the navy due to family history. Still learning navy vs other branch lingo

villo0692

by looking at the different programs, intel, crypto and supply seem to be the ones that I'd apply....AEDO and AMDO would make more sense, although it does say masters highly preferred.....you would not consider going active duty?

Pags

N/A
pilot
by looking at the different programs, intel, crypto and supply seem to be the ones that I'd apply....AEDO and AMDO would make more sense, although it does say masters highly preferred.....you would not consider going active duty?
Yeah, those are very specific designators that you should be interested in. I assume the OP has some interest in AEDO because that's kind of their day job.

Esim1315

No, AD is not for me. I highly enjoy the area I live in and my family prefers to stay put. The idea of moving around for AD is something I did as a kid with my dad being a nuke and it was hard.

Esim1315

Yeah, those are very specific designators that you should be interested in. I assume the OP has some interest in AEDO because that's kind of their day job.
While I am interested in AEDO because it’s similar to what I currently do, I am open to crypto and other designations that are just engineering related to expand my horizons.