• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want in - into the Reserves as an Officer but maybe enlist first.

FlaFFguy

Hey guys and gals. I am new here. I tried reading old threads on here before posting one up. There is one on this subject in the Navy Reserve forum but it is an old thread and very short.
Here we go, I am a 36 year old. I have a few years to go to enlist before I reach the age limit. I have a bachelor's degree in communications from an accredited university. Not exactly an engineering, aerospace, or business administration degree the officer recruiters are seeking.
I know I can go for Public Affairs but not exactly want to do it.
To make my bio more interesting, I don't even work in my field of study. I am firefighter/EMT and been doing it for more than 4 years.
There aren't any Reserve Officer jobs related to my civilian job. I do hope the skills I have are transferable in those jobs. I don't have leadership or supervisory experience in the fire service. I do mentor rookie firefighters when they come to my fire station, but it isn't official.
My GPA isn't stellar either. I don't want to go back to school for a Master's degree. My conclusion is that I am not competitive enough. So, I am eyeing on enlisting into the reserves and go officer when I am in later on. Seabees interest me if I enlist. I would like y'alls input. I know many will suggest that I talk to a recruiter, but I don't want to waste my time if I get the runaround.

P3 F0

None
The one thing you can do that is NOT wasting your time is to talk to a recruiter. Why would you be afraid of getting the runaround? They will either make it happen for you or they won't--message boards may help you with background info, but aren't going to make or break your goal. You may not be competitive, but you need to hear that from a recruiter, not us.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days recruiters, especially the officer recruiters, are straight up and to the point. Don't be afraid to talk to them. I can tell you that as you expected, you are not a good candidate for any Reserve direct commissioning program, even PAO. If you want to enlist and serve that way, good on ya. Just be aware that it likely will not set you up for a successful direct commission to the Reserves. Between age, your degree and civilian career field, there just aren't any good fits for the highly competitive direct commission to the Reserves. That said, talk to a recruiter and hopefully he will tell you that I am full of crap.

exNavyOffRec

These days recruiters, especially the officer recruiters, are straight up and to the point. Don't be afraid to talk to them. I can tell you that as you expected, you are not a good candidate for any Reserve direct commissioning program, even PAO. If you want to enlist and serve that way, good on ya. Just be aware that it likely will not set you up for a successful direct commission to the Reserves. Between age, your degree and civilian career field, there just aren't any good fits for the highly competitive direct commission to the Reserves. That said, talk to a recruiter and hopefully he will tell you that I am full of crap.

You are right on, unfortunately for the OP.

FlaFFguy

Interesting, why can't I go through the Limited Duty Officer pathway if I enlist? I know I have to make it to CPO to be eligible.

exNavyOffRec

Interesting, why can't I go through the Limited Duty Officer pathway if I enlist? I know I have to make it to CPO to be eligible.

You could, and you don't have to be a CPO to apply, a person can apply as a PO1, but you do have to wait for 8 years of service, not sure what the LDO selection rate is currently.

FlaFFguy

You could, and you don't have to be a CPO to apply, a person can apply as a PO1, but you do have to wait for 8 years of service, not sure what the LDO selection rate is currently.
That is true. Who knows where the Navy Reserve will be in 8 years. But I will try. Thanks!

KBayDog

That is true. Who knows where the Navy Reserve will be in 8 years. But I will try. Thanks!

I know where it'll be:

Daybreak, Jakarta. The proud men and women of the Navy are protecting America's interests overseas, but you're in Lubbock, Texas hosing down a statue, because your in the Naval Reserve. Once you complete basic training, you only work one weekend a month, and most of that time your drunk of your ass. The Naval Reserve: America's 17th line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard, and the American League of Women Voters.

Recruitment_office.png