• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Waiver question (White Coat Hypertension)

RoamingBiologist

Flying out deep into the wilderness.
Hello Airwarrior Community,

I am in the process of awaiting my date to go to MEPS, I had several delays that prevented me from being able to go and submit my packet for the July SNA/NFO boards. When filling out the medical forms, I put under family history hypertension, spine degenerative disease, and allergies, of which I only have the allergies portion. Had a full physical done by my primary in Apirl this year (at the time I was under a different insurance policy) and passed everything with flying colors. Few weeks after providing past surgery report, 6-month post op physical (said all clear), and primary care provider physical (blood, urine, eyes, etc) they shot a message back to my recruiter saying I had degenerative spine disease, hypertension, and need a pulmonary function test.

Had period of a few months where I had neck pain 3 years ago, and had a full spine and neck X-rays to ensure that I wasn't suffering from a heredity disease. Everything was all clear and it turned out I just pulled the living daylights out of my neck muscles at the gym. (Zero issues since then) So I gave the report saying I was fine.

Pulmonary Function Test: Scored 112% the pulmonologist said that it was normal and above normal for certain parts of my test.

Hypertension: was 130/80 at my April physical, 132/74 back in November '14, 127/80 October'14.

I do more cardio now than I did back in April and I regularly check my BP and BF% to ensure I'm right on track, and to monitor my health as it's something I grew accustom to. Since I've gotten back into my serious training regiment my BP is 120-130 systolic, diastolic 50-70. On intense cardio weeks I see numbers as low as 118/48. I never had issues with getting my BP checked by doctors I was familiar with, but for some damn reason since I was told by my recruiter that MEPS was asking about it I started to become more aware of it.
So I payed out of pocket (alot of money) to see a doctor where I am now (in between insurance policies
atm) and my bpm went from 66 to 100s right in front of the doctor, and my bp was 150/90. She told me to just continue my exercises and that we would monitor my bp outside of a clinical or emergency care provider setting. When I returned with several days worth of bp measurements in which I was in 120-130 systolic and diastolic would be 50-70. Highest recording was 140/70 at about 1:30pm being in the sun for a while and thirsty as hell. Returned to her, that weird nervous feeling crept up and it was 158/90 with a bpm of 105. She diagnosed me with having White Coat Hypertension, and wrote a note describing my bp ranges outside of clinical setting and inside clinical setting.

I was wondering if this would be a deal breaker for getting through MEPS and Flight Physical?

Mitch_556

I believe you will find your answer here. My best advice from this point on is to go on a D.A.S.H diet, run all the time, use l arginine and l citriluine. Also pick up a book on controlling anxiety, that may help you when the doc puts the the cuff on you. Not saying you have any anxiety but you get nervous about your numbers.
Do that and you have a fighting chance. I'm not sure about waivers on your spine. I have no idea on that stuff. Anyway good luck and don't give up.
Ps this is for flight physical, you can get through meps with 139/ whatever. Same deal, my BP spiked when I got their. But ended up passing, just let them take it manually.
After writing this, I saw the date of post... I hope I'm not too late

Attachments

• 1_Waiver_Guide_Physical_Standards_130530.pdf
    241.8 KB · Views: 18