• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver Process Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EaglEye

I had to send in the results of some labwork to DoDMERB a while back due to protein being found in my urine during the initial physical. The new tests were positive for protein, but after a 24-hour volume test, etc., my personal physician diagnosed it as benign orthostatic proteinuria. Well, I recently received a letter from DoDMERB again saying that I had been disqualified due to a history of proteinuria(this was, ironically, the only urinalysis in my whole life that was ever amiss). The letter also said that my info would be automatically forwarded to BUMED for waiver consideration. Now, my questions are:
1.) Do I need to talk to my doctor again and see what supporting evidence he can send in?
2.) How long does the waiver process for this usually take? Whether granted or denied a waiver, will I hear in one month, or three?

Can anyone offer their wisdom? Thanks!

wannabef18pilot

EaglEye said:
I had to send in the results of some labwork to DoDMERB a while back due to protein being found in my urine during the initial physical. The new tests were positive for protein, but after a 24-hour volume test, etc., my personal physician diagnosed it as benign orthostatic proteinuria. Well, I recently received a letter from DoDMERB again saying that I had been disqualified due to a history of proteinuria(this was, ironically, the only urinalysis in my whole life that was ever amiss). The letter also said that my info would be automatically forwarded to BUMED for waiver consideration. Now, my questions are:
1.) Do I need to talk to my doctor again and see what supporting evidence he can send in?
2.) How long does the waiver process for this usually take? Whether granted or denied a waiver, will I hear in one month, or three?

Can anyone offer their wisdom? Thanks!

1) Yes, get all the material that supports a waiver from your doctor AND SEND IT IN. Get opinions from another doctor if you have to.

2) For me the waiver process took 8 months and I had to get 2 waivers. Be prepared to wait and have a lot of faith.

The process for me was hell but in the end I got the waivers and the scholarship. My advice is not to give up and not to get discouraged. Most applicants do need to get waivers for the dodmerb physical, so don't feel discouraged and freak out too much.

BurbPunk

The waiver process is a pain, as I have also found out. I have been told to get as many objective tests done as possible. Doctor's opinions are just that, opinions. The board seems to look for results that clearly prove you right or wrong.
Also, as wannabe posted, have patience. More than anything else, this seems to be the key.

Good Luck

Yanni

Midshipman
I recently had to go through the waiver process with DODMERB for my NROTC scholarship, I recommend calling an officer in officer development and asking exactly what to do, that helped me. It is however a huge pain in the ass and a big disappointment if you don't get it. Best of luck.

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
i'm not sure what all information you had to send in, but if you can get a doc to submit a letter explaining that in his/her opinion your condition does not have any effect on naval service, bumed will look at that first. i had to get a wavier that was deemed impossible for flight, but by doing so, and learning the procedure, i got it. also, check out www.vnh.org. this site describes every possible senario on getting a wavier. i'm assuming that you want to go flight. this site has all the SNA (student naval aviator) requirements and wavierable conditions.

one thing i had to learn when i got my wavier is not to get discouraged. things are not final untill you get your pre-commissioning physical your senior year. you've got until then, or possibly a little bit afterward to get your wavier granted.

best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.