• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver of VA Compensation

snake020

Contributor
I've been receiving VA service connected comp and last year was my first in SELRES. I thought VA would be sending a Form 21-8951 (Waiver of VA Compensation to Receive Military Pay) this year but I haven't seen one. Is this supposed to be done manually?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I've been receiving VA service connected comp and last year was my first in SELRES. I thought VA would be sending a Form 21-8951 (Waiver of VA Compensation to Receive Military Pay) this year but I haven't seen one. Is this supposed to be done manually?
You should be able to do it at benefits page.

So is that yes we are supposed to do it manually?
Not as much help as you’d like, but I was in a similar situation. I called the VA and tried to get in front of the issue. It was a major a$$ pain, and I never finished.

About a year later, the VA sent me a “nice try JOKER, but you can’t double dip!—unless you tell us otherwise, we’ll assume you’d rather keep the reserve pay and we’ll dock your VA pay for the next year (or three? I’m not sure what it was..)”

So, this is a case where my teenage son’s philosophy is probably right: do nothing and it’ll work out fine.

snake020

Contributor
Not as much help as you’d like, but I was in a similar situation. I called the VA and tried to get in front of the issue. It was a major a$$ pain, and I never finished.

About a year later, the VA sent me a “nice try JOKER, but you can’t double dip!—unless you tell us otherwise, we’ll assume you’d rather keep the reserve pay and we’ll dock your VA pay for the next year (or three? I’m not sure what it was..)”

So, this is a case where my teenage son’s philosophy is probably right: do nothing and it’ll work out fine.

The way the form reads implies they're going to send it to me with the dates recalculated, which is why this whole exercise confuses me.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The way the form reads implies they're going to send it to me with the dates recalculated, which is why this whole exercise confuses me.
It is terribly confusing and when you get your first letter it will be close to 15 pages long with only a single page to fill out. (Edit....) I see I kind of skipped your point. I did this Only for a few drills almost ten years ago but pay adjustment letters typically came about four or five months after each drill!

Last edited:

nodropinufaka

So how does this work?

They will calculate how many days active duty I did and reduce my va check by how much they view one day of active as worth?

this whole thing confuses me and I just had to go through an MRR because the nosc said I needed too simply because I had va compensation