• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver advice for hypertension

KeyserSöze

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Just looking for some help with a waiver it looks like I'll have to get. But first, I just want to say thanks everybody's valuable input on this site. Great stories, great advice, and especially motivating for a hopeful Marine aviator.

The issue: I was medically dropped from Marine OCS this summer due to blood pressure readings that were higher than regs allow. The Navy doctor said if I want to come back I will need to apply for BuMed waiver for controlled hypertension. This involves documenting normal blood pressure for at least three months and all sorts of labs and tests. (My meaningless rant: How could they diagnose me with hypertension in two stressful days but now it takes me over three months to prove otherwise?) This shouldn't be hard to prove because I know I normally have acceptable BP, I really don't know what why it spiked up in Quantico.

I definitely haven't given up on my goal to become a Marine Corps aviator. I asked the doctor if this same waiver will be accepted for my flight physical, but she didn't seem to know. The NAMI waiver guide (http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...ocuments/Waiver Guide - Cardiology 080623.pdf) seems vague as to what applies to applicants versus aviators.

Is Marine aviator still an option for me?

Thanks again!

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Did they do a three day blood pressure test? Nami will do that to make sure you do have hypertension. I assume it was greater than 140/90?

As for the waiver for applicants, it can change from month to month. When I went to Nami before API I had high blood pressure and they were starting a waiver for it and at the time it wasn't a big deal. Then they figured out that my hypertension was due to a benign tumor, took it out and my blood pressure was within limits afterwards. However, the doc told me that if I still needed the waiver then it wouldn't been approved, only about 3-4 months after my initial check in.

torpedo0126

First of all are you having trouble with systolic, diastolic or both? I also struggled with my blood pressure when originally applying for my NROTC scholarship and subsequent flight physicals. For four years I thought that I had high blood pressure...when in fact, that is somewhat ridiculous because I am an in shape 23 year old.

They took your blood pressure at OCS while eating MREs and a shit ton of proccessed food? Sounds like optimal conditions...While applying for your waiver, I would see if you can lower it the healthy way by altering your lifestyle like this:

1) Hydrate--If I get dehydrated, my heart palpitates and I get readings over 140.
2) Sodium--I have lowered my overall salt intake. When I get closer to physicals, I really reduce it (below 1800mg). Having just one salty meal can up my pressure.
3) More vegetables--two weeks of veggies will do wonders
4) Relax--Its possible that you have "white coat hypertension." A lot of people think they have it, but it is just nerves. True WCH means that whenever you go into the doctor your BP goes up, regardless of how you feel. Either way, if its in your head now, its gonna make it harder to get it down until you relax. Do some deep breathing, yoga, trust me it will help.

Again, I know you were asking for a waiver regarding this, and I am not a doctor, but I am I willing to bet you have a good shot at beating this.

KeyserSöze

They took my pressure on the initial medical screening. After informing me that I would be sent home if I didnt relax and get my BP down, I was tested again a day later with the same high results (the systolic was over 140). I understand they had to send me home because they couldn't tell if I legitimately had hypertension or it was just high at the time. I feel like there's a big question if I do actually have hypertension becuase my self-tested reading are all within regs. If I don't, my next step is to figure out how to get around the "white coat syndrome" that I read about on here.

I guess I just wanted to know if there is even a possibility an applicant can get a waiver. Sounds like there is, so I will gather all the documents and ammunition for the waiver. Thanks for your help and good luck to you.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
All good advice ^^^^^ given so far.

More tips...no smoking, stay away from exhaust fumes and no working out of any kind for at least 24 - 48 hours prior to your test. Those things elicit chemicals which will bind with hemoglobin and displace Oxygen....driving up your BP just a bit as your heart beats faster in an attempt to bring more O2 to the tissues. BTW, Breathing pure O2 won't work to eliminate this chemical bond. Sleep well the night before, no getting liquored up

"becuase my self-tested reading are all within regs." is a classic example of 'white coat syndrom' .... the minute you see the corpsman/doc, your BP goes up. Got a friend who is a doc/corpsman/EMT? Maybe they practice on you.

S.O.B.

pilot
The "white coat" syndrome stuff is ligament. I'm on a waiver for an abnormal Red Blood Cell count and every time I go to medical my HR increases and BP goes up. If I take my BP myself at the drug store it's like 110/70 and I've had it up to 150/90 at medical. I've also had my HR up to 130 at medical and I'll take it at home and its 60 or less.

torpedo0126

Also, something else I remembered...

Feddoc, maybe you can back this up...

Potassium has been proven to lower blood pressure--coincidentally potassium rich foods are fruits an veggies. Its really hard to to just eat healthy all the time, so I went out and bought a big thing of NoSalt. Its a salt substitute made of potassium chloride. I sprinkle some on almost everything.

Can't say if it was 100% effective because I made a bunch of changes so it would be hard to single that out as the variable.

KeyserSöze

Thank you all for the good advice. Very helpful.

I have an appt with a doc to start all the tests and BP documentation for the waiver. Im curious...when I prove my BP is normal and get a waiver, then I go to OCS next summer (or flight physical this year) just to get another single high BP reading, would I get the boot again? By that point they will have proof I have normal BP. Are the military docs understandable enough to take the "white coat" syndrome into account?

torpedo0126

(or flight physical this year) just to get another single high BP reading, would I get the boot again? By that point they will have proof I have normal BP. Are the military docs understandable enough to take the "white coat" syndrome into account?

PM me if you would like a personal experience I had with a written diagnosis for White Coat Hypertension. I'm not posting it since it doesn't really answer your question because I ended up being within standards.

Go here: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

And download the Cardiology waiver guide. It spells out in bold lettering that White Coat Hypertension is not an acceptable diagnosis. You can review the rest.

Acronym

Any update on how this went? I'm in a similar situation.

I have controlled/medicated hypertension, and have been working with my recruiter on getting what he calls a "courtesy waiver". I had to get a signed note from my doc stating BP readings at last visit (125/73 (on meds)), which he is forwarding on to MEPS (I believe..), where we will get a response back of whether or not I am PQ'd. Note: This is before I have started on any other part of the application.

He said if I am PQ'd, then I can use that same waiver when I have to go to MEPS for the full physical, and will be able to get through without issue.

I'm going through this situation a bit pessimistic, due to what I've read about HBP being an instant DQ. We'll see what happens.

Hypertension is weird. To compliment the previous advice, this is the route I've taken to try and regulate my blood pressure, and stay healthy.

- Well balanced diet is crucial, and typically difficult to stay on track with. No booze (and I <3 booze). No fast food (so easy to pick up after an 8 hour work day). Some people praise the Atkins diet, or south beach diet, or slim fast or whatever. I typically adhere to eating what I know is healthy; protein (chicken breast/fish), fresh veggies, low fat, low/no sodium.
- Been reading up on Omega 3 fatty acids. There have been some scientific studies that show taking Fish Oil can reduce both systolic/diastolic by a couple points. Cholesterol too.
- Exercise! Interesting, with my home blood pressure cuff my BP will be lower (though pulse is higher) a couple hours after I exercise, as compared to a day I do not exercise. Been doing Crossfit 2-3x a week, and looking to get motivated to run on my off days.

BTW, I am 25/m/160lbs/reasonably in shape/athletic aptitude.

With this "courtesy waiver" submitted I am nervous. Supposed to hear results within a week. It will suck if I get turned away before even getting a shot at proving myself an attractive asset to the Navy.

BigRed389

None
The "white coat" syndrome stuff is ligament. I'm on a waiver for an abnormal Red Blood Cell count and every time I go to medical my HR increases and BP goes up. If I take my BP myself at the drug store it's like 110/70 and I've had it up to 150/90 at medical. I've also had my HR up to 130 at medical and I'll take it at home and its 60 or less.

How do you deal with this?

I got NAMI whammied back as an OC for hypertension, and 2 years later, I passed a lat xfer flight phys by the goddamn skin of my teeth (135/82). Like you, at home it's <120/80, pulse ~70.

Had a sat 3 day check, waiver request submitted to NAMI, but I was wondering what they do for this in practice once you're winged, and how you've dealt with the inevitable pain in the ass this has got to be.

Getting confidence that it was really just me mindfucking myself helped me, but the first time around, it was up to 150/100 with a HR of 130 as well.
If I work on trying to relax (which I'm pretty sure is a paradox) I can reliably get it to ~140/90 with a HR of ~100.

JNavMyers

I had high BP on my MEPS date in Feb. I just had it retaken and my recruiter is sending the form to MEPS. Will I have to go back to MEPS to have it checked now? Or should I be done for the moment? Also does having this medical waiver on my package put me at a disadvantage in applying for OCS?

Donald Auld

I'm having a blood pressure issue as well. I don't currently have high blood pressure or any issues of the like, but when I was a teen I was diagnosed with hypertension. I corrected it with a healthier lifestyle.

I made the unintelligent decision to disclose this information upon arriving at OCS and now I'm afraid of being npq'd. I've had a 3 day blood pressure test and my highest avatar was approx. 128/85 but most came out to 120/75. Flight surgeon said there was no waiver and he'd be surprised if I weren't redesignated. Obviously, I'm hoping this isn't the case..