• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wait for OCS or join the Naval Reserves while going to college while pursuing a degree?

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Well I am a college student and I am sorry if this has been posted before but I am wondering if it is possible to join the Naval Reserves while getting a degree then join OCS and apply for a Pilot slot or just wait till I am done with college and then apply? Thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Well I am a college student and I am sorry if this has been posted before but I am wondering if it is possible to join the Naval Reserves while getting a degree then join OCS and apply for a Pilot slot or just wait till I am done with college and then apply? Thank you.

Yes.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could join NROTC if that's your thing, but a pilot slot is not guaranteed that way. I'd suggest finishing your degree and trying for OCS.
A pilot slot is not “guaranteed” through OCS, either, unless you compete and get one. The primary feeders for the unrestricted line are NROTC and Annapolis. OCS slots only fill what the Navy can’t get through the first two. The question is whether you’re willing to be an officer first, aviator second, or if you want to walk if you can’t get a pilot/NFO slot.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
What would be the advantages/disadvantages of doing Reserves and trying to apply at the same time for OCS?

exNavyOffRec

A pilot slot is not “guaranteed” through OCS, either, unless you compete and get one. The primary feeders for the unrestricted line are NROTC and Annapolis. OCS slots only fill what the Navy can’t get through the first two. The question is whether you’re willing to be an officer first, aviator second, or if you want to walk if you can’t get a pilot/NFO slot.

When I read the post I took it as that you don't obligate time in the service unless you get selected for Pilot as opposed to USNA/NROTC where you are obligated for at least 5 years after they pay for college and you hope you get the designator you want.