• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VTU Guam remote gouge

snake020

Contributor
Anyone have gouge on how VTU Guam is, especially for Reserve members not on the island? Not urgently looking at VTU, but am considering options.

The NRC CO was not very helpful at answering questions and one of the VTU members I reached out that initially replied has become a ghost.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
They established a unit in Yokosuka last year that was just for admin drills, apparently. No actual billets. Heard that Guam can be hit or miss, but I don’t have data to back up the rumor.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sounds like a pain train. Flying to another place in the Pacific on your own dime to drill for no pay? The only NRC Guam person I ever dealt with was a SELRES in TACRON. And that's because her spouse was stationed in Japan, so she did the bare minimum to keep Guam happy and then burned the rest of her drills supporting 12's WESTPAC det in Japan. But that's with a full DWE's pay to get there and back again. I commuted Seattle to North Island until COVID, but again, I still made some money on the back end after travel expenses.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I commuted to London for a NAVEUR selres billet, but I got paid and I flew over for free on AA as a nonrev employee. Not guite the same. But looking back, dont know how I did it.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I commuted to London for a NAVEUR selres billet, but I got paid and I flew over for free on AA as a nonrev employee. Not guite the same. But looking back, dont know how I did it.
Because London?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Watching people join off active duty and seeing their heads explode at some point in their first two drill weekends is entertaining, because we were all there once.

I'm looking at making the switch soon myself. What should I be aware of?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hoo boy . . . I could write an entire article. Maybe I will later, but it's late and I have to go back to the damned office tomorrow. The one that really blows folks' minds is that you can't take someone to mast for being UA. They just get marked "unexcused absence," and if that happens 9 times in a year, they get ADSEPed.

There's a whole laundry list of how to play the reserve game, though. Let me noodle on it.

exNavyOffRec

It was pretty cool. Wore coats and ties. HQ was just off Bond St in central London. Most guys were commuters from around Europe so no one had to go home after work. Made for some good times.
was the full name James Bond St? this joke brought to you by 2 whisky and cokes :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Learning how points are computed (active duty days vs 4 hour drills) can benefit you in the mid and long-term. Also understanding the different pots of money and when you can use them can help you maximize your participation...depending on what you may desire.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hoo boy . . . I could write an entire article. Maybe I will later, but it's late and I have to go back to the damned office tomorrow. The one that really blows folks' minds is that you can't take someone to mast for being UA. They just get marked "unexcused absence," and if that happens 9 times in a year, they get ADSEPed.

There's a whole laundry list of how to play the reserve game, though. Let me noodle on it.

Learning how points are computed (active duty days vs 4 hour drills) can benefit you in the mid and long-term. Also understanding the different pots of money and when you can use them can help you maximize your participation...depending on what you may desire.

Thanks, gentlemen. It's much appreciated.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
1. Do you care about getting promoted?
2. What kind of reserve work interests you?
3. Do you want to travel?

1. I just need to make O4 so I can get to 20 and my pension.
2. Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm kind of running out of motivation for the Navy at the moment and would like to spend some time just doing my 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year thing for a little while. Also, I'm not exactly sure what's available for Reserve EDOs.
3. I wouldn't mind it here and there but I really need some geographical stability for the time being. I don't want to have to travel to drill every month. There's a reserve unit at my current command and a NOSC back in my hometown. If likely want to drill at the NOSC and do my AT at the reserve unit.