• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VTF ILS Lost Comms

jointhelocalizer

pilot
A buddy asked me this question and we were both scratching our heads a bit. If you are being vectored for an ILS and you go lost comms what would you do? If you are on the downwind, it makes sense to climb to the IAF altitude and fly the full procedure or if you are on the dog leg, you should just join the localizer and fly the approach. But what if you are on a base vector? My first instinct is to do the same as a downwind, but I feel like there is an argument to be made for just joining the localizer, especially if you have something like glass for added SA. Just curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You’re on a base vector for the ILS, being vectored to intercept the localizer, which is your next route.

Squawk 7600, intercept the localizer, fly the ILS. ‘

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Gotcha, thanks everyone! Tracking on what 91.185/FIH says, just didn't know what qualified on the next route. Sounds like intercepting would be the method of choice on vectors granted you have the SA to know where you are with respect to the FAF and the localizer. Easy day in the glass world, but not so easy with no GPS.

Sorry for my dumb question.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Gotcha, thanks everyone! Tracking on what 91.185/FIH says, just didn't know what qualified on the next route. Sounds like intercepting would be the method of choice on vectors granted you have the SA to know where you are with respect to the FAF and the localizer. Easy day in the glass world, but not so easy with no GPS.

Trick question. Maintain VMC and land ?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot

Ah, youth. People survived for a long time with charts and radio nav (VOR, TACAN, etc.) Yes, we used to have to visualize ourselves on the approach plate or chart, but I wouldn't say it was hard... It's just mindlessly easy now.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Ah, youth. People survived for a long time with charts and radio nav (VOR, TACAN, etc.) Yes, we used to have to visualize ourselves on the approach plate or chart, but I wouldn't say it was hard... It's just mindlessly easy now.
Shack. I remember getting my first HSI (the round instrument with a needle, not a moving map) in a jet and thinking it was like being King Kong.

I was surpringly far into my flying career before I even saw a glass panel, let alone had a moving map that actually functioned as its manufacturer intended.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While an imperfect movie, I always thought Pushing Tin depicted aerial spatial awareness decently, at least for how my brain works. But I'm an absolute radial/distance cripple. If I don't have that for at least something, I'm nose down in the iPad.