• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-4 and VT-10 Combining?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This morning at our weekly all students meeting, the VT-4 XO told us that there was talk of VT-4 and VT-10 consolidating into one squadron. Apparently she wanted to dispel any rumors by letting us know up front that it was a real possibility.

Anyone have any clue how the transition process would work/when it would occur?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This morning at our weekly all students meeting, the VT-4 XO told us that there was talk of VT-4 and VT-10 consolidating into one squadron. Apparently she wanted to dispel any rumors by letting us know up front that it was a real possibility.

Anyone have any clue how the transition process would work/when it would occur?

The more things change, the more.......

I was one of the first SNFO VT-4 students back when they were converted from an E-2/C-2 VT squadron. It would just be going back to the way things were. :D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes it's for real. It's all part of the "Remove all AF Students from Navy training and stand up our own training squadron in Pensacola" and UMFO plan. VT-4 students and instructors would show up one day with VT-10 patches. As far as the fine details, I'm sure they are still in works.

Like Flash, I too went through right after VT-4 transitioned to an NFO training squadron.

Once it's official, the squadron will ensure no student is left behind. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I remember hearing it but wasn't sure if it was finalized yet or not.

So all the military NAVs are going to be trained in PCOLA? Good think it's not in a hurricane zone or anything. Just saying...

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
More details to follow, but students and continued smooth production of NFO's is the priority. The effects on students will be transparent.

With the Air force focusing on their own training, consolidation is a wash with the end numbers essentially the same. We'll all just be in one fat squadron.
Now, NFO 0-5's lose a command billet which is poor timing considering the establishment of OP-T as a specialty career path just a few months ago.
But the number of JO instructors remains roughly the same.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was a stud at VT-4 when they were the advanced E2/C2 squadron. Good times :icon_smil

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been hearing about the whole "VT-14" thing for a while, but I'm still not clear on what exactly it gains CNATRA or the students. Nobody's going anywhere, and having two SNFO Primary VT's hasn't been causing problems that I've heard of. So what's the end objective of this plan? What will be better/faster/funnier after the merger?

I'm sure there's some Big Plan in place, but this reminds me of the mess that USNA started in '96 when it disestablished the Sixth Batt companies. Enormously complicated plans, displaced a lot of people, caused a messy train wreck for mids and staff, all in the name of eliminating five Company Officer billets.

The Broken-Eggs-to-Omlette ratio: Is the mess that a plan will cause worth the desired goal?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what's the end objective of this plan? What will be better/faster/funnier after the merger?

I'm sure there's some Big Plan in place......Is the mess that a plan will cause worth the desired goal?

I would presume it largely has to do with the costs of keeping two squadrons active when you really only need one. The billets and support needed for the other squadron could easily be used eslewhere by the Navy. And with the USAF largely withdrawing from the the Navy training track, what is the justification for keeping two squadrons when one used to do the job just fine? Sure, it is a command opportunity for a Special Mission CO but that should not be the justification for keeping it around. Needs of the Navy strikes again!

I fthere is a mess it is not necessarily the Navy's fault, it is largely up to the Wing and CNATRA to ensure it goes well. If there was an unrealistic constraint involved then you could blame big Navy, but if given enough time it should not be too much of an issue.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was a stud at VT-4 when they were the advanced E2/C2 squadron. Good times
I was a STUD @ VT-4 when they were the GUNS/CQ Squadron for the "Jet Pipeline" ... even better times ... :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would presume it largely has to do with the costs of keeping two squadrons active when you really only need one...

It probably is a cost thing, but I don't know that you'd really save any money. As for billets - the front office, maybe some DH slots, but otherwise, you're still going to have just as many instructors. I hope, anyway. The AF bailing may be reducing the student load, but I wouldn't think it's that much of a change.

This seems like a colossal amount of work for a questionable gain. Unless there's something I'm missing, which is I guess possible.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
What is OP-T?

OP-T is the new Special Mission. Operational-Training is now an approved specialty career path in which Department Head candidates who don't screen for Operational DH, also get screened a third time for OP-T.
This career path creates opportunities for 0-4/5/6 within the Training Squadron/Wing and FRS.

While there is a healthy bit of skepticism, CNATRA reiterated the above a few months ago to the VT-4/10 instructors. Now, the details still haven't been worked out as far as career path after the DH tour....

I've heard and am now seeing VT DH's being populated by OP-T selectees. The first OP-T DH's are up for 0-5 next year so we'll see. Some feel that OP-T should tank seperately from Operational guys but I don't see that happening.

It probably is a cost thing, but I don't know that you'd really save any money. As for billets - the front office, maybe some DH slots, but otherwise, you're still going to have just as many instructors. I hope, anyway. The AF bailing may be reducing the student load, but I wouldn't think it's that much of a change.

This seems like a colossal amount of work for a questionable gain. Unless there's something I'm missing, which is I guess possible.

So far, it seems like 2 0-5 billets, 4 0-4 billets, 2 GS, and 3 contractors are what's being cut. It may be perceived savings that may actually take quite a while to materialize versus the shutdown cost and end up being negligible.