• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VP Reserves to be Disestablished in FY07

ip568

None
By 2013, at best, look for 4 VP squadrons flying the P-8A (8 aircraft each), two squadrons at JAX, two at WHIDBEY. VP-30 will get perhaps 12 P-8s. I suggest that's the high side overall. I don't see how there will be any P-3Cs flying by 2013. What a difference time makes. When I was flying P-3s, there were 22 squadrons, each with nine aircraft. We deployed six out of every 14 months. Was a back-breaker but we saw some amazing duty.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Acoustix99 said:
Not quite. HSL will be on the LCS, not sure we'll be called HSM by then, because they're supposed to have an HSM det on board, but regardless, we have it.

I was referring to ip568's lack of mention of our fatboy team in his post.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ip568 said:
What a difference time makes. .
Yeah, all those planes that were overstressed performing syllabus high G manuevers. Upgrades that were never made (digital autopilot anyone) since the NEXT aircraft is coming any day now.

ip568 said:
When I was flying P-3s, there were 22 squadrons, each with nine aircraft. .
When I finished flying, end of 2003 beginning of 2004, there were only 3 planes on the ramp for 3 squadrons, only one of them was up, the other was a plane we couldn't use.

ip568 said:
We deployed six out of every 14 months. Was a back-breaker but we saw some amazing duty.
- No good deal/API flights for you my friend... If you were a lucky crew you went somewhere cool.
- Airlift onto and from deployment anyone?
- Multiple 5 hour preflights on DIFFERENT aircraft only to have your mission scrubbed since you couldn't get off deck. Repeat the next day.
- Compound malfunctions due to an aging airframe.... flap well cannon plug failure anyone?
- Pilot downsizing, 36-30 in the wardroom
- Not every Pilot will make PPC (not due to ABILITY but due to HOURS), or if they due, shuffle them off on early orders, or have them sit the bench so they can give extra hours to someone that's timing is better so they can make them an IP
- DFW, whats that? Go log some SIM time....

And the list goes on... I had a blast flying the warpig, good times and memories, luckily Zab, I and others on here saw the last of the really good times (for both deployed and home cycle), until the "hammer" fell in 2003/2004.

mdubs

pilot
Another rumor that is going around the RAG (at least what they are telling the most recent class of pilots) is that the worst of it is over and that the fleet should be getting a bunch of airframes back from the depot. Therefore we shouldn't have to worry about making hours or anything, according to them. I will believe it when I see it though. Same with the P-8. The MMA team came to Corpus back in the summer trying to "recruit" primary guys to go P-3s because the number of guys putting it down first has really declined the past couple of years. Let's just say all the guys I know are really hoping for the P-8 to happen; otherwise we may be looking for different jobs.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
webmaster said:
Yeah, all those planes that were overstressed performing syllabus high G manuevers. Upgrades that were never made (digital autopilot anyone) since the NEXT aircraft is coming any day now.

DAS is in the new NATOPS. Hit the books man!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Machine said:
DAS is in the new NATOPS. Hit the books man!
Do you have an aircraft with it in? How about with digital HF?

Yeah, need to get a new NATOPs, figure once I get my writtens, I will start hitting the books again.

So, you have internet I take it? :)

alwyn2nd

McNamara

Interesting career move. Do you want to fly as a Warrant Officer or as a Commission Officer in the Army? I assume your helo of choice would be the AH-64D. Good luck and Happy Holidays to all you Navy types - smooth sailing/flying.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Last time I spoke with Mac, he was looking into SF billets when his time was up. He's funny like that.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
alwyn2nd said:
McNamara

Interesting career move. Do you want to fly as a Warrant Officer or as a Commission Officer in the Army? I assume your helo of choice would be the AH-64D. Good luck and Happy Holidays to all you Navy types - smooth sailing/flying.

It's logical to assume that I would want to continue flying, but as Gaijin said I actually want to try out for SF. If I had to transfer into the Aviation branch, however, I'd much rather be a warrant officer as the commissioned officers don't fly much at all.

Happy holidays to you too.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
McNamara said:
It's logical to assume that I would want to continue flying, but as Gaijin said I actually want to try out for SF. If I had to transfer into the Aviation branch, however, I'd much rather be a warrant officer as the commissioned officers don't fly much at all.

Happy holidays to you too.
I take it the SpecWar transition you were asking about ages ago didn't pan out?

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
I don't think it was "ages ago," but since the hurricane maybe time has gone faster for me than for others. My preference has certainly changed since I gave it a few months of thought. SF is my first choice, but I may still put in a lateral transfer package to SpecWar if it looks like I can't swing a deal with the Army or the Guard. I just prefer the mission and the, how do you say, "personality" of SF. Although I really admire the few SEALs I know, I think I'd fit in much better with Special Forces.

That's probably too much information for an aviation forum so I'll stop there. I really can't say what the hell is going to happen to me with regards to orders and such. I might end up flying for my whole career after all - we'll see.