• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Voting while at OCS?

tperng

I will be leaving for OCS the day after tomorrow, so I'd appreciate a quick response to this post. Voting is not a right I take for granted so I'd like to register for an absentee ballot so I can vote in November elections while at OCS.

However, there are two different types of absentee ballot registration forms: one for civilian and one for military. Which one do I use? Do I count as a civilian since I'm not officially a member of the USMC until after I pass OCS and accept my commission?

bennett4362

deployment sucks
my husband was at navy ocs during elections last year, and before he left he signed up for the military one. he didn't have any problems getting it in the mail or getting it back in time.

on another somewhat related note, he was also called for jury duty while he was at ocs, but i just faxed them his orders and he didn't have to show up :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Actually you are a member of the military at OCS. You are on active duty and entitled to all active duty benefits and subject to the UCMJ. I don't know what the Marines call officer candidates, but when I went through AOCS in 1983, I was a AOCUI(2)/E-5 or an Aviation Officer Candidate Under Instruction Second Class with a paygrade of E-5.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Talk to your OSO, he should be able to work it out for you. Marines call officer candidates...well Candidates...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
jamnww said:
Talk to your OSO, he should be able to work it out for you. Marines call officer candidates...well Candidates...
Yeah, we were called Candidate too. But there was an official rate/rank associated with it. We even got a DD214 for discharge from enlisted status prior to accepting our commissions. Did you and if so, what was the rank on it?

bennett4362

deployment sucks
my husband didn't have talk to anyone; he just went and picked up the military absentee application, filled it out how he could (he knew they would be E5 at ocs, he put his rate as officer candidate, and he might have left a couple of lines blank, i can't remember exactly), and that was it. it was really no big deal.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
HAL Pilot said:
Yeah, we were called Candidate too. But there was an official rate/rank associated with it. We even got a DD214 for discharge from enlisted status prior to accepting our commissions. Did you and if so, what was the rank on it?

Marines maintain their prior rank until they commission, at which time they are discharged from their units and are then commissioned...

As for official titles and ranks...well really they don't have a rank and are only referred to as "Officer Candidate" with a pay grade of E-5. Due to the high attrition rate at OCS (33% roughly) prior enlisted Marines aren't let out of their commitment until they actually get accepted all the way through...

Nonpriors are not given a rank at all at any point during OCS until they commission...