• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision Waivers

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I was wondering if anyone had heard of any NFOs getting a waiver for cataracts. I have small ones in each eye and they are congenital (I've had them my whole life). My vision is 20/20 corrected and everything else seems to meet the NFO requirements. I checked out the manual at NOMI, and it really didn't address cataracts in a lot of detail. Just curious about what I can expect when I go to Brunswick in December for my physical.

Raptor2216

Well, I can't tell you anything specific, but seeing how they made an issue with my "problem", which isn't a "problem", I can tell you they will most likely make an issue out of yours...remember this is NOMI, its their job to be a pain.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I can't tell you anything specific, but seeing how they made an issue with my "problem", which isn't a "problem", I can tell you they will most likely make an issue out of yours...remember this is NOMI, its their job to be a pain.

I love to see the seeds of bitterness sown so early in a career. ;)

Brett

EM1

Awesome, thanks for the info. I guess I'll know more in a couple of weeks. I always had the feeling that those flight surgeons could make you or break you. I'll just hope for the best.

EM1

Yeah, its turned into a big deal. They are requesting a waiver, but NAMI won't even consider it until I get a glare test done. Only problem being that there isn't a place in the navy that does it inside of a 300 mile or so radius. Getting referred out in town now. The whole process is amazing, and I'm not even trying to be a pilot, I can't imagine trying to pursue that one... Oh well, with any luck I'll still make the deadline and they won't call up an alternate, we'll see though.

EM1

Well, after my physical sat in someone's outbox at BUMED for a few months, and about ten phone calls to get it pushed through to the right places, NAMI has said that I'm "NPQ/AA All Duties Involving Flying." I hope that means I'm ok to fly, not positive if that's what it means though, the whole "NPQ" thing still kinda scares me....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, after my physical sat in someone's outbox at BUMED for a few months, and about ten phone calls to get it pushed through to the right places, NAMI has said that I'm "NPQ/AA All Duties Involving Flying." I hope that means I'm ok to fly, not positive if that's what it means though, the whole "NPQ" thing still kinda scares me....

NPQ means you're Not Physically Qualified, I.E. you're NOT OK to fly.

Brett

EM1

Guess I was wrong about that one. I've looked all over the place and I can't find anything to back up what they told me in Maine, but I was told that the AA meant Aeronautically Adaptable which somehow meant that with a waiver approved you could fly or something. I've scoured the waiver guide and I can't find it though. Thanks for your help. I'll try some other medical avenues on Monday. The whole thing confuses me, because it seems to contradict itself.
Waiver Disposition for EM1, Name, SSN, USN
Date of Original Receipt: 2/28/2007
Physical date: 12/12/2006
Date of Birth:
Date of Initial Review: 3/1/2007
Current Status: Film 42
Date of Inital Status: 3/1/2007
Letter Serial: XXXXXXX
Letter Date: 3/2/2007
Letter Mail Out Date: 3/2/2007
Facility Notification Date:
Package Mail Out Date:
Primary Reviewer in this case is: Name Removed
1st Primary Review Date: 3/1/2007
2nd Primary Review Date: 3/2/2007
Is NPQ/AA All Duties Involving Flying
Waiver rec Student Naval Flight Officer
Waiver Submission: Annually until waiver approval confirmed

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guess I was wrong about that one. I've looked all over the place and I can't find anything to back up what they told me in Maine, but I was told that the AA meant Aeronautically Adaptable which somehow meant that with a waiver approved you could fly or something. I've scoured the waiver guide and I can't find it though. Thanks for your help. I'll try some other medical avenues on Monday. The whole thing confuses me, because it seems to contradict itself.
Waiver Disposition for EM1, Name, SSN, USN
Date of Original Receipt: 2/28/2007
Physical date: 12/12/2006
Date of Birth:
Date of Initial Review: 3/1/2007
Current Status: Film 42
Date of Inital Status: 3/1/2007
Letter Serial: XXXXXXX
Letter Date: 3/2/2007
Letter Mail Out Date: 3/2/2007
Facility Notification Date:
Package Mail Out Date:
Primary Reviewer in this case is: Name Removed
1st Primary Review Date: 3/1/2007
2nd Primary Review Date: 3/2/2007
Is NPQ/AA All Duties Involving Flying
Waiver rec Student Naval Flight Officer
Waiver Submission: Annually until waiver approval confirmed

Firstly, AA (Aeronautically Adapted) and PQ(Physically Qualified) or NPQ (Not PQ) are different things. You can be AA but NPQ. You have to meet both requirements to be legal to fly. It sounds like you are AA and NPQ but they're recommending a waiver (presumably for your eyes). Talk with your command or whomever is helping you with your application about any further action or follow-up you might need with NOMI to make sure your waiver is approved. As long as your waiver is approved by NOMI, then you should be good to go for flying.

Brett

Reactions: EM1

EM1

Thanks Brett, I got the letter from NOMI today, and basically, the waiver is recommended and at this point in the program, that's all I need to go to school. I would imagine I will have to do another physical here in about three years, but for now, I'm good to go (to school anyways), and the letter seems to suggest that finalizing the waiver will happen sometime closer to SNFO time. Your help is tremendous, nobody else seems to care about all this stuff, or is willing to give me a straight answer. BTW my ENG (ringknocker) laughs at me every time he sees me logged in to this site at work. He works up the manliest voice he can, and yells "AIRWARRIORS!!" Submarine guys get a kick out of my "high hopes" anyways. Maybe he's just jealous :)