• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFA Pilot attached to SEAL teams as FAC

CDR Scott volunteered for and deployed with SEAL Team FIVE in 2006 as their Forward Air Controller and Air Officer to Ramadi, Iraq in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM.

How was this a thing? Curious how a Navy VFA pilot was able to attach to a ground unit in a FAC position. I know Marine Pilot can do it during their B-billet with Infantry, but never heard of a Navy Pilot doing this - especially with the SEALS.

Maybe it was apart of the Navy's IAD ( Individual augmentee program). Is this still a thing?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
total guess: sounds like an voluntold IA billet and he probably stayed in the JOC. Still cool as shit, though. He wasn't hanging out on rooftops lasing targets.

Last edited:

SRiley52

To the OP: It is not uncommon for aviators to join a SEAL team as a Fires O during their shore tour.
Holy. You can actually choose to do this as a shore tour? I feel like the general consensus is that shore tour for pilots is some variety of administrative work, and this sounds a million times better.

SRiley52

So I'm assuming there would be some variety of a drawback for doing this? Like a potential speed bump in tour career? Because as juvenile as it might be, the idea of doing this instead of some of the less desirable options has me rock hard lol

Python

pilot
Contributor
Please quantify “not uncommon,” because that implies that it is common, which is by no means the case. I would place it in the “extraordinarily rare” category.

hard to quantify. I would agree that “not uncommon” is wrong. I would not say extraordinary rare. Perhaps “regularly but infrequently occurring” on the slate.