• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Version 3

YNK

Hello all; I just wanted to share my experience in studying and taking the ASTB as I gained a lot of great information from reading everyone else's tips and advice here on this forum.

I had a week to study for my ASTB. I bought the Cliff-Notes Military Flight Aptitude Tests book, downloaded the ARCO book, and read nearly every gouge and website mentioned in this forum. If it wasn't for this forum, I would not have gotten the grades I received. (7/7/7/58!) For the past 6 days, I did nothing but study.

I had version 3 and took my test via computer at 0900.

Math. Kind of tricky. There was a lot more algebra than I was led to expect in my studies, but really, it's pretty easy. Use the gouges to brush off the cobwebs and you'll be good to go.

Verbal. Also tricky. The real test is never like the study guides, but the study guides do help. The hardest part is to not bring in outside knowledge, as mentioned in another thread. For example, the question may be about how to choose the proper shoes. You may know that the type of socks you use will effect what shoes you get, but the passage may not have anything about that. So read carefully and infer from the information only mentioned in the text.

Mechanical comprehension was my biggest concern. I have had no physics classes. When I took the practice tests, I wanted to scream in frustration. But I took every test I could get my hands on, even the AFAST and AFOQT tests. And you know what? This section wasn't even that difficult. But if I hadn't studied, I wouldn't have gotten through any of those questions.

Spatial apperception. I will now term this the "WTF?!? section." There was a lot of situations never mentioned in the books. The pictures combined everything - going at an angle to land and banking and climbing/diving. The pictures were unbelievable. I would look at some of them and just stare because my mind was going WTF?!? But again, studying helps with getting your mind around those.

Aviation and nautical. Having a pilot's handbook and understanding the basic concepts will get you through the aviation; at least, that's what I did. For the nautical, I borrowed some books from my old NJROTC instructor and memorized from the practice tests. It really isn't all that difficult if you study.

(Studying is the key, folks!)

My supplement was reading, math and mechanical comprehension. I think the math was actually harder in this section - or that might have just been my mind getting tired. By the time you're here, you just want it done.

Overall, study! There's a wealth of information here in this forum - search around and take it all in. It's all worth it. Also, be quick - if you're working on a problem and you don't know immediately how to work it, move on and come back to it. I found that I had plenty of time to spare when I did all the ones I knew first and just came back to the ones I hesitated on.

Oh, one last thing - when they offer the break, take it! I didn't, thinking I was fine, but man, did I really need to go afterwards. Plus, it's nice to take a breather after all that rapid fire decision making.

Well, those are my two cents. Thanks to everyone who contributed their own two cents - it's because of you all that I was able to get those scores!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good post, and thanks for taking the time to share your experiences/thoughts with others. Congrats on your scores, and best of luck with your package.

John

YNK

No problem; again, it's you I should be thanking for all the great information in this forum.

AppleCello

Hey Congrats! I just took my test a few months ago and we have nearly identical scores. I'm not submitting my package for a while though, as I have my PRK procedure on Tuesday and need at least a 3-month cooling period post-op for the waiver.

Stay in touch about your progress and let us know how things work out!

Good luck

AppleCello

This is fun! I keep getting phone calls from mom/grandmom/whoever saying "are you sure you want to have this surgery?? Just go for Intel officer---CLICK" as I hang up the phone :-D ya pilot! Im hoping the PRk goes well too...! :eek: