• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vegetarianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaznups

Just wondering what happens to you if you're a vegetarian? A serious vegetarian for more than 10 years? Do they not care? Just wondering because I get violently ill when there are even traces of meat in my food... Actual meat might put me in a hospital... [V]

Has anyone come across this??

Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

jaznups

ok cool b/c I asked someone else at a different site and they essentially said... TOUGH!

And I didn't believe it so I asked here.

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

spidrwmn

jaz - Check out the Miscellaneous section under "Food at OCS" by FlyGirl for more info. Hope that helps a little!

- nikki

moestud

Hey Jaznups

When I went to OCS I was a vegetarian for 12+ years. On day one
when you check in (mind you this was 4 years ago so some things have
probably changed) they ask if you have any dietary restrictions and
what kind of veggie you are. I can't guarantee that your first few chow experiences will be smooth, I just stepped out of line and tried to get someone to notice that I did not eat meat (we weren't aloud to talk to anyone). Luckily my Drill instructor noticed my panicked look. After that first day things went smoother, I just told the food servers that I didn't want meat. A few classes later there was another vegetarian and at the first chow, the DI asked who his little "veggie head" was, so you might stick out, but everyone does in one way or another [:D]

One thing is for sure is that the food selections are slim. Its basically adapt to what they already have. Plain pasta was almost always available, and peanut butter and jelly. They also have a salad bar.
Hopefully the food selection has improved. Good luck.

jaznups

Cool.. THANX!

I think it will be hard for me to not stand out anyways being a girl.

I think I could handle that... it's kind of like College [:p]
Pasta and PB&J... and salad... unless I cook (and this isnt an option in OCS)

Jaz

BB

Jaz, you are right about sticking out-- you have two things that will definitely get you noticed around these parts (Veggie and Female). However, stick to your guns and don't let the teasing get to you and you'll do just fine. WE all stick together anyway.

Discovery

I was reading through the old threads and found this one. I have been a vegetarian for a long time (8 years) and am worried that if I were forced to eat meat my body would not react pleasantly. It's good to know that others have gone through OCS without eating meat. I know it's probably not a good idea to draw attention to myself in any way, but this is something I'm thinking that I need to stick to my guns on.

Does anyone have any more tips on making it through (or any horror stories)?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Believe it or not, the military has become sympathetic to vegetarians and people watching their diets. There is always a salad bar, pastas and fruit available. Nutritional values are always available for every entree. Heck, the new MRE's actually have 2 vegetarian meals in every case. That is a big switch from days of old. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Having just graduated OCS myself I was really surprised at how sympathetic to the vegetarians they are. We had one in my platoon, he wasn't called out for it by the DI's or anything. Plus, when you eat MRE's, I'd say about half of the MRE's we were issued were veggie, and in my opinion, the vegetarian MRE's are among the best tasting anyways. I'm pretty sure the reason they are so sensitive to the veggies is because some people may be vegetarian for religious reasons, and noone there is interested in stepping on anyone else's religion.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Discovery, this is my best rule for OCS survival...

I wasn't as enlightened a candidate as many of you are reading these message boards, and I went down to OCS expecting literal hell on earth. I imagined the day we picked up with our Drill Instructors to be the worst experience of my life. When we really did pick up, and it wasn't THAT bad, I kept expecting things to get worse. When things aren't as bad as you expected them to be, everything seems OK.
Remember this, it will help- Unhappiness does not exist because of the way things are. Unhappiness exists because of a difference in the way things are, and a way you THINK things SHOULD be.

aslam

We were asked during Indoc week if we were vegetarian or have any dietary restrictions.

ASLAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.