• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VA Disabilities

Bene

I recently completed my TAPS class and was wondering if any of the VA disabilities that are found can be held against you if you try to apply for a commissioning? I do have some issues that are in my service record and now are on my VA application. Getting paid for disability sounds great, but I am getting out, finishing off my degree, and trying to come back in. Can anyone give me any advice on this situation? Thanks.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yes.
They can be held against you.

Are you really disabled? Or are you healthy enough to continue service?

Bene

Nah…I think I am in great health. Some of the items in my medical record that scares me are that I was diagnosed with asthma in boot camp, during deployment I had chronic sinus problems that caused my nose to bleed, my left thumb was smashed in a hatch, and I had a mole removed from my chin that was thought to be cancerous. I don’t think any of those would cause serious disabilities. I was just curious if I did qualify for VA benefits, if that would disqualify me from trying to get a commissioning.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Nah…I think I am in great health. Some of the items in my medical record that scares me are that I was diagnosed with asthma in boot camp, during deployment I had chronic sinus problems that caused my nose to bleed, my left thumb was smashed in a hatch, and I had a mole removed from my chin that was thought to be cancerous. I don’t think any of those would cause serious disabilities. I was just curious if I did qualify for VA benefits, if that would disqualify me from trying to get a commissioning.

The asthma might be an issue for certain careers. "might be cancerous"....dang, I would want to know for sure.

You can be treated at a VA hospital for the above issues; and you have to be rated by the VA in order to do so. That rating may be enough to draw compensation. Or it may be 0.

Here is an example of what could happen, according to the VA. Lets say you have a bad shoulder and the VA gives you a 10% rating. You could draw about $108 per month. Then, when you decide to come back in, you pass your physical and become a commissioned officer. At the point you raise your hand, your VA payments stop.

WHile it may seem odd that you pass an entry physical and yet are also rated under the VA healthcare system, keep in mind that the two healthcare systems have different standards for rating disabilities. If you weren't subject to a med board during your enlisted career, then it is likely that those conditions you mentioned will not affect your commissioning chances.