• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA vs. OCS, more USNA Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

heerothewizard

I'm interested in becoming a NA *most poeple on this board probably are
icon_smile.gif
And I was wondering, which is the better path to do so, USNA or OCS? Also, what sports/extra curriculars look good on a Naval Academy application?

Is doing Sea Scouts/Cadets important?

Thanks
^_^

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY!!

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Phoenix155

Well, if I can give a small thing I heard from a current Naval Aviator...

I was going home for Thanksgiving the past fall and was wearing my uniform (SDB's) so I could try and do some recruiting at my old High School (I'm in my first year of NROTC at Marquette University in Milwaukee). A guy stopped me, and asked if I was a Plebe. "No, I'm in my 1st Year at Marquette University," I replied, and we talked for a few minutes. It turns out he went to a local H.S. in my hometown and he attended the Academy. Upon asking him how he liked it, he answered, "I F--ing hated that place!"

Remember, the Academy is a good place to be from, not a good place to be at.

Personally, I would recommend going through ROTC (or even OCS if you can). It's a good program and let's you be more self-sufficient than those who are at the Academy, who are being told what to do 24/7, 365. OCS is worth it because it gives you a "Boot-Camp" like atmosphere that (so I'm told) gives you better respect with the enlisted under you.

Please keep in mind I'm only in my first year, but this is what I have been able to take away from the program and my friends here thus far. Take it as you will.

--Alexis

P.S. Apply to Marquette University! Email me if you are interested! ;)

When man finally became dominant over Earth, he looked upwards to the Heavens...One can easily imagine paleolithic man staring space ward, wondering what it would be like to cross that inconceivable distance and bridge the gap between worlds, to what mysteries were held in the grasp of far planets... --Halo Prologue

jrUSNA05

Unicorn NFO
None
Remember, the Academy is a good place to be from, not a good place to be at.

While that statement is true... The Academy also has many bonuses. If you want aviation we gave away 318 Pilot/ NFO plus another 100 or so USMC Pilot/ NFO slots (and we get first dibs on the slots each year, so we always have the most of any sinlgle commissioning source). And for those who are interested in being a SWO we also have about 300 of those slots each year. But most Mids here don't want that route and those are usually reserved the lower academic ranked poeple. Although there are a lot of restrictions put on Mids here, it still a good place to get an education. If you are more of a social animal, then this is definately not the place for you since you get almost no liberty until you are a 2/C. Personally, I love it here and would encourage anyone who is interested to at least apply so they can the choice.

RJ
USNA '05

Semper Fi!
Go Navy! Beat Army!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Why torment yourself with 4 years at the academy when you can spend a couple months at OCS. ROTC would also be a pretty good deal. Look into BDCP. You get paid while going to college (base pay plus housing and allownaces), the time counts toward retirement, time in grade (for pay purposes), you get full medical and dental and your earning leave while your in the program. With BDCP there is no drillling, uniforms or any other type of BS. Its a great deal.

Dave

T.M.Gray

Look into the Merchant Marine Academy. Yes, it's regimented, but much less chicken***t than USNA, plus you get to spend a year at sea visiting ports all over the world. You graduate with a license as a Third Mate or Third Assistant Engineer of oceangoing ships and a commission in the USNR. The Navy loves USMMA grads. So does the Air Force, the Coast Guard, the Marine Corps. and even the Army (Corps. of Engineers and Tranportation Corps.). See my post: "America's Best Kept Secret" under this Forum.

heerothewizard

Thanks for all your help guys! ^_^
But could you answer a couple of my other questions?
1) What sports /extra curriculars look good on an Academy Application?
2) Is doing Sea Scouts/Cadets important/helpful?
3)What other things give you a better chance of getting in?

Help Appriciated ^_^
Also: I have read lots about the Academy, and many people say that while they are at the Academy, they hate it, but when they're leaving, they realize that they love it. Another set of happenings is that the people have the best times of their life (up to that point) there.

Anyone have a good Academy experiance? or a memorably horrid one?

thanx a bunch ^_^

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Brodie143

I did not go to the academy so I can't tell you what it is really like but quite a few of my fellow officers in my first command are academy grads. Yes it is hard and most don't like it there while they are there, but you are in a great fraternity when you leave. All commissioning programs suck while you are there. Many do have fond memories once they leave and you make a ton of friends.

As to what to do to get in, do everything you can to be active. Sports are good as you will either play a sport or be involved in intramurals while you are there. The have a few hours each day or so where they have to play a sport of some kind. Volunteering in your neighborhood for something is also good. You want to show leadership and potential. So do well in school as well. Student body government would not hurt. You need to do activates that will make you stand out. There is going to be a couple thousand guys just like you so you need to stand out.

Now, the bad side, you are not guaranteed to get an aviation slot. You have to wait until near the end of you four years there, I think after your 7th semester before you find out what you are going to be. It depends on grades and who selects before you and what they select.

ROTC is the same as the academy except you are at a university, with less actual military personnel aboard. There are many more people to date. Again you are not guaranteed anything in the selection process you have to do your best. Plus no underage drinking allowed.

OCS, the easiest of the three and the shortest. You know what you are going to be going there for so that is a bonus. The hard parts is getting in in the first place and getting what you want. On the other side you can the most fun at college and still get in.

For any of these you must strive to excel as there are not many slots to fill. Hope that helps and good luck

MVS26

Wizard,
From an Academy grad I'll tell you that if you REALLY want to be an aviator, go ROTC. I loved the Academy and I still do. We all F---ing hated that place, but we also loved it in the weirdest way, and since misery loves company, you'll make awesome friends, and find an appreciation for the simplest of freedoms. Those are just some of the good things about the Academy. However, getting a pilot billet is competitive out of there. I'm an NFO, but that's because of my eyes, pilot was never an option, so you're not hearing this from a bitter dude who didn't get pilot and wanted it. However, there are a couple bitter NFO's down here from the Academy who didn't get pilot. The ROTC guys pretty much get a pilot slot if they want it. OCS is tough to get into, especially if you just want pilot, there's a long wait and you'll have to do pretty well in college where ever you go. So basically, go to the Academy if you want to go to the Academy, go ROTC if you want to be a pilot.
Okay, that being said, make it your option. Apply to the Academy and get in first, if you don't want to go, don't. Your first question, all sports and extra-curriculars (ECA's) look good to the Academy. What's even better is being a leader in one of them. Being president of the basket-weaving club is about as good as riding the bench on the varsity lacrosse team. Being a varsity lacrosse captain, you're golden. So, any sport, any ECA, especially leadership postions within those, the Academy loves. Your second question about sea cadets: Important? No. Helpful? Yes. If you read the Academy's brochures, you'll easily find a statistic on what percentage of the incoming class was a sea cadet. If they're keeping stats on it, it must count for something. Your third question, put everything you can think of on your application. Remember in Van Wilder when the teacher handed out blue books for the final exam? Van said he'd need more blue books? Ask for more blue books. They work on a point system. You get points for everything you put on that application, so put it all down. Community service, sports, ECA's, things you led (retreats, service projects, etc. they love that stuff).
So then you get in. Now the option is yours, and you can then weigh out what you want to do as far as becoming a naval aviator. Good luck, bro.
Matt

heerothewizard

^_^ thank you. I might try to do Sea Scouts/Cadets. does anybody know anything about it?
Why is ROTC better than USNA in terms of flying/education/etc??
I'm not really a big partyer...

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

jason12

Hey...what's wrong with OSU lol

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS,
AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

wobble

Look into the BDCP program if you're going to consider OCS. That's what I did and I'm glad I did it instead of the Academy or NROTC. Ask any officer recruiter for more information.

Gig'em and have a Great Day

Status
Not open for further replies.