• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA service selection advice - discouraged

z3n

Hi -
didn't get my service selection choices. Is it advisable to take this up the chain - mostly to get feedback? Thanks!

phrogpilot73

No more detail is required. You didn't get what you wanted. You got what the Navy needed. Don't take it up the chain, because it's not going to change anything other than making you look like a whiny bitch.

I had two classmates that were former Marines, and wanted to go Marine Corps after graduation. They both got SWO. They both got drunk, then focused on being the best SWO they could be. They are both now LCDRs, one is a CEC officer, the other a MH-60S pilot (after having flown MH-53Es). They both love their life, and wouldn't want to change anything.

Either accept your service assignment, and realize that you've been given an incredible opportunity - a free education, a JOB (not so easy to find these days); or quit - and either repay the Academy, or go enlisted. But don't bitch about it.

z3n

Thanks - I do appreciate the advice, frank that it is. Don't want to be a "whiner". Just wondered if I could learn from this- and in seeing other posts in other forums, some did recommend "humbly" going up the chain w/regard to unwanted service selections. thought I'd just ask, in case anyone out there had first hand experience.

mid1510

Thanks - I do appreciate the advice, frank that it is. Don't want to be a "whiner". Just wondered if I could learn from this- and in seeing other posts in other forums, some did recommend "humbly" going up the chain w/regard to unwanted service selections. thought I'd just ask, in case anyone out there had first hand experience.

I'm a ROTC guy, but I've seen it done before. It can't hurt to try. Be respectful about it and you may get lucky.

Reactions: z3n

phrogpilot73

I'm a ROTC guy, but I've seen it done before. It can't hurt to try. Be respectful about it and you may get lucky.
I'd put this in the category of "bad gouge". Academy =/= ROTC.

As an Academy guy, and someone that is of the same rank as a good chunk of your chain of command, I'm telling you that it's a bad idea.

EDIT - and for full disclosure, I can understand your thought process. In the end, I got what I wanted - but I don't know what I would have done had I gotten SWO. I hadn't eliminated refusing my commission and going back to the FMF as a highly educated enlisted guy...

z3n

I'd put this in the category of "bad gouge". Academy =/= ROTC.

As an Academy guy, and someone that is of the same rank as a good chunk of your chain of command, I'm telling you that it's a bad idea.
Could you elaborate? What about feedback to improve? Possible chance of future assignment transfer?

phrogpilot73

Could you elaborate? What about feedback to improve? Possible chance of future assignment transfer?
First, the reason that Academy =/= ROTC is just how the service assignment process works, and BUPERS/HQMC billets that are available.

Second, your service assignment is solely due to your performance at the Academy. I don't know how the current system works, but in the past, grades, performance/conduct, and interviews were part of the process. Because the fleet is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING like the Academy - any feedback they can give you will be worthless the minute you walk out the door and into the real world.

Take what you've been given, work your ass off at it and impress your superiors - then you may have a better chance at a lateral transfer. Going up your chain now will give them the impression that you're "that guy", and you never know who they're talking to in the fleet...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Words about midshipmen that wanted something other than SWO... They both got SWO. They both got drunk, then focused on being the best SWO they could be.

Funny thing is that actually happened to me... choices, in order: Navy Pilot, Navy NFO, USMC NFO, SWO. The letter said SWO, and I did what phrog's classmates did, and I suggest you do the same. Beer makes everything better.

One thing to mention is that between now and when you graduate, things can change, people will quit or get kicked out or otherwise become ineligible for the community they "selected", and you may end up not being a SWO. Happened to more than a few of my classmates (Myself included, even though I still didn't get my 1st choice, hence 2 anchors on the wings, but as I always say, it takes a stronger man to carry two anchors).

Bottom line, don't whine about it. Accept it for what it is and focus on being as good an officer and [fill in the blank] as you can.

Bubba's $0.00000000002

Reactions: z3n

z3n

Phrog and Bubba - hey, thanks for taking the time to take me "under your wing". I appreciate the advice and insight - and will certainly be the best I can be at my ss, regardless. BTW, Phrog, the process has changed ...it's now including quality spread. So we'll see how that all works out. Now it's time for some beer therapy! Again, thanks!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least you didn't get "Naval Field Officer."

Kudos to today's Annapolis Capital.