• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA prep school

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
There was an...issue in 2002-3 with the pay system. Specifically, USNA got pinched by the IG's office in regards to the held pay system and a total lack of accounting for interest accumulated by the sole, USNA administrated held pay account. If I remember correctly, the argument (posed by a mid) was that the government/DoD were issuing pay to mids, and USNA was holding a portion of it in an interest earning account, but not tracking those earnings in any way. My last two years there, the pay system got all kinds of dicked up, and no one knew WTF was going on.

But apparently things have changed again, including how people 'celebrate' service selection. Hell, i bet that even midnight booty calls have fallen off at NAPS. Personally, generally preferred not to shit where I ate, but I'm not innocent, either. You used to see the same people, at the same time, going in the same directions at night...

Bolsa

pilot
I only remember getting about 50 bucks as a plebe when all was said and done, and the dry-cleaning mafia had taken all my pay!

As far as NAPS goes. It was a good experience for me (NAPS '97). There are many advantages to going straight out of high school, but you can't request it. As mentioned before it is up to the board at USNA to offer you a chance at NAPS.

Secondly as far as the appointments and nominations go... someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that you do not need one to go to NAPS. They are for the appointments to the Academy themselves. So, if for some reason your senator or representative doesn't have a slot this year, but will the following that could work... I think I had to even re-apply for the nomination when I was there. Now, that being said, I am not sure that you may get an invite to go there with out one... (so I guess that isn't much help, is it?).

EDIT: ---- see what "bigwill" has above... sounds familiar and true.--- I didn't see that before original post.

There are also other Preparatory Schools out there that feed into the Academy. If it what you really want, I echo previous post.... just keep applying until they say yes...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
One of the guys from my USNA class just finished a tour in admissions there, and he says that there's a moderate amount of shuffling that goes on for nominations. For example, if there are three awesome candidates from one Congressional District, but said legislator only has two nominations to give out, they will occasionally find another member of Congress who has not used both of theirs. He also reports that in all of these cases, the candidates were both superbly qualified, and came from application saturated areas like northern Virginia, etc.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
One of the guys from my USNA class just finished a tour in admissions there, and he says that there's a moderate amount of shuffling that goes on for nominations. For example, if there are three awesome candidates from one Congressional District, but said legislator only has two nominations to give out, they will occasionally find another member of Congress who has not used both of theirs. He also reports that in all of these cases, the candidates were both superbly qualified, and came from application saturated areas like northern Virginia, etc.

I too finished my TAD time in Admissions and yeah, there's a lot more to nominations than what people on the outside think. You have some of the jist of it here.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My bud wasn't TAD, he was on a shore tour. You might have run into him. Good natured and fast talkin' brother with big ol' peepers? Went to DH school in Newport afterwards.