• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA Crew Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

Does anyone have any gouge on the USNA crew team? I'm trying to find out how much they practice and the sort of workouts they do. I e-mailed the coach and only found out they practice 6 days a week. I've heard horror stories about Crew practices and just wanted to confirm...any additional info would be greatly appreciated!

Semper Fi

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My squad leader from summer seminar who I still keep in touch with is on the crew team. She loves it and often tries to convince me to join. I know they practice alot, I know that she has early morning practices fairly often and after classes too. She loves the team and the sport and said it's not uncommon for someone to join the team without doing crew in high school. I know that one of the plusses of being on the crew team is that, no matter what year you're in (plebe, youngster, etc.) in the boathouse, it's a relaxed attitude and you won't be flamed on.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Light Weight or Heavy Weight? Know a bit about the Lites.

You want horror stories, talk to the crew from Yale, Princeton, or Harvard. They have horror stories. Winter, they break the ice on the course in order to row! Spend all summer in practice. Some dedicated young men.

It is a varsity sport at USNA. It is a year round sport, which means you are excused from a lot of evolutions during the year. There is a jingle "I am sorry sir I cannot, I have crew today" . I think they lost their team table at meals and only Varsity Football team kept theirs. That may have changed recently. As a varsity team, they get to wear the coveted sports letter, the Navy N.

Starting with the 2001 team, USNA has fielded some awesome teams. 2001 team went to the Henley in England, first time ever (I think). Last year (2004) they took the National Title. There are no more dedicated folks than the Navy Lites.

Wonderful boat house, great equipment. Several courses, even protected creeks if the weather is too bad on the bay or the rivers.

6 days a week? Tell me you joke. You mean "Two a days", six days a week. Well ok, 2aDays, five days a week, one on Saturday. You can wimp out on Saturday afternoon.

If you have specific questions, PM me.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
I didn't go to Canoe U, but I raced against their lights pretty frequently in college. USNA is in the oldest and most competitive rowing league in the country, the EARC, and they have had some very fast crews recently. Where I rowed, our workout schedule would vary somewhat by the time of year- we would have practice at minimum one practice six days a week for the whole year, with 2x/day practices being pretty standard anytime at all close to a race. However, even when the extra practices weren't scheduled, it was expected that anyone who was serious about making a boat would take the initiative to show up and work out on their own, since that level of training was basically necessary to be physiologically competitive.

You will have practice through the entire academic year, including the whole winter which you will spend indoors on the rowing ergometers and in the "tanks." I'm not sure about the summer, since I seem to remember the EARC having a rule limiting the number of weeks that a team could spend on the water, plus I think that USNA mids are typically pretty busy over the summer with cruises and other stuff like that. I think the Chief knows more about USNA specifically, but other crews in that league have their summers off.

It is very true, as was said before, that you can easily row as a freshman without having any prior experience (I can't tell from your first post or your profile if this is the case). Most college crews will have a relatively even mix of rowers with high school experience and those without, and they will organize practices for the frosh/plebe team to get the novices up to speed over the first few months.

And yes, the Chief is right that rowing in sunny Annapolis is much more pleasant (at least in the winter and early spring) than rowing in Ithaca, Hanover, New Haven, or Cambridge. Breaking the ice to get back on the water is the fun part. The hard part was walking to practice, seeing the river frozen solid, and knowing how much more time we had to spend on the erg.

Hope this helps.

asise

It really tied the room together.
If you want to see some of their results in races visit www.row2K.com
They looked strong in the Eastern Sprints - that was May 15th if you choose to find the results under that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.