• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN flight accident investigations

Tex232

Air Force guy here so forgive me if I’m a little unfamiliar with Navy SOP when it comes to this topic.

The USAF has a website where they publicly post their completed accident reports and findings for all aviation mishaps. I often found these to be of interest and good reading material to learn from other pilots’ mistakes. I was wondering if the Navy does the same and has any similar open source material they publish for their own mishaps. I’ve heard they more closely guard their findings than the Air Force, but just thought I’d ask.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Air Force guy here so forgive me if I’m a little unfamiliar with Navy SOP when it comes to this topic.

The USAF has a website where they publicly post their completed accident reports and findings for all aviation mishaps. I often found these to be of interest and good reading material to learn from other pilots’ mistakes. I was wondering if the Navy does the same and has any similar open source material they publish for their own mishaps. I’ve heard they more closely guard their findings than the Air Force, but just thought I’d ask.

A clarification...what the AF posts is the non-safety based investigation, probably the legal investigation (but I can't remember, exactly). The actual mishap investigation is privileged and not made public. Right or wrong, the AF is actually even more uptight with its investigations than the Navy is, and the Navy is pretty uptight about it.

The Navy does have an equivalent investigation that can be public that's called a JAGMAN, but it's not done for all mishaps. I'm not sure how easy they are to get your hands on without a document request.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It’s possible the AF equivalent of our Safety Center has an interconnect to the Naval Safety Center. I’d start by contacting your side and asking. But no, we don’t publicly post mishap investigations.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Gatordev was spot on. The releasable reports in AFSAS are the legal investigations. The safety investigations are kept close hold in AFSAS. To get access to the Navy safety investigations you'd have to get ahold of someone to the system that used to be called WESS (I know the name has changed, can't recall the new acronym). I have full rights in AFSAS and I can't seem to figure out how to link it to the Navy system, or if that's even possible.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Right or wrong, the AF is actually even more uptight with its investigations than the Navy is, and the Navy is pretty uptight about it.

This, to a T. I remember seeing some USAF investigation "results" in the safety management system when I was safety-O a few years ago.

Where the USN reports went into details that were fascinating and often very helpful to other units, the published (and accepted) USAF reports read roughly like: "Mishap aircraft lost power and suffered class A damage. Cause of crash was due to loss of engine power."

...in other words, useless from a professional learning perspective. :rolleyes:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This, to a T. I remember seeing some USAF investigation "results" in the safety management system when I was safety-O a few years ago.

Where the USN reports went into details that were fascinating and often very helpful to other units, the published (and accepted) USAF reports read roughly like: "Mishap aircraft lost power and suffered class A damage. Cause of crash was due to loss of engine power."

...in other words, useless from a professional learning perspective. :rolleyes:
That’s an interesting example, as a guy who once flew a jet that had to have oil samples periodically run through a mass spectrometer to help detect impending wear issues with a bearing that could fail and take out the engine and thus the jet.

Which was found through following the fault tree a lot further back than “uhh, yeah. They ejected because the engine blew up.”