• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC USMC revolution is rifle qual

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Interesting read on th enew rifle/marksmanship qual - well thought out and retains the best of traditional distance rifleshooting with practical "action shooting sports" movement - all with a full load of gear that stresses physincal fitness.

Curious what you Marines think - is this still with a 4x optic? M4A1 carbine? Is the M16A4 dead? Also interested in what our resident rifle guy @Gatordev thinks.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
With out getting involved in the Iron sights vs Optics debate it's probably for the better, You get sweaty, heart rate is running and you have to work to control your breathing. The old B-mod course was okay for just plinking but we all know the enemy is not going to wait for you to assume a good tight sitting position before trying to kill you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll defer to the Marines on how practically valuable this will actually be from an execution standpoint. My understanding is that they're converting the M16A4 into an M16A4 with a M4 stock kit, but that it's still intended to stay in service.

Beyond that, I've only touched a rifle 3 times in the last 7 months, so I probably don't even know which end you point at the target. Something I hope to change very soon.

VMO4

When I qual'd at Parris Island, I remember taking ten minutes to get wrapped up in the "kneeling" position, which was more like a combination of yoga and trying to cut of the circulation in your forearm with the strap. It worked as far as getting in a tight, movement free position to shoot kneeling position at 300 yrs with iron sights, but I thought it was amazingly impractical.

In law enforcment our qual course tended toward short range, low light, period of increased heart rate or simulated stress, plus a quick "shot/no shoot" decision, in other words , like real life shootings. Anything the USMC does to add movement, cover, stress, i.e. real life to the qual course would in my opinion be a good thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think learning how to use a sling can be extremely valuable, but there seems to be so many more practical ways to do so now with the KAC M5, KAC RAS, or HK (M27) rail while using a QD/clip attachment point. Between using a barricade and/or using a sling with magazine as a monopod, you can get really steady in non-prone and prone conditions, at least out to 200-300m on a man-sized target (and even on a B/C target).

I always find it interesting when I'd shoot the 2-gun competition and you had to make a shot off-hand at some range that quickly fatigued arm muscles. The majority of people don't even adjust their sling to make it work for them. Even if you have one attachment point on the rail, you can grip the sling farther forward to create tension and it can help greatly. Having forward and aft attachment points is even better, and my preferred setup on my go-to competition SBR.

0621 Hertz

One minor complaint I have about the new course is the gear involved.

The grunts and fleet units will use their new lightweight plate carriers and high cut helmets, while air wingers and reservists will probably use heavier and bulky LWHs and IMTVs from 15 years ago. I hate sighting in an ACOG with that stupid visor in the prone position.

So I dread the notion of "flak and kevlar" for everyone knowing the crap gear will probably never see combat.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think the change is a good one. Shooting is a critical skill and I always preferred the USMC quals over the army system. The whole idea isn’t really to make everyone a superior shot, rather to make them comfortable with shooting instinctively. It is good to have a mix of assisted (acog) and unassisted (iron site) practice.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The worst but most effective gun training I’ve ever done was during one deployment in the desert. An old crusty Army master sergeant made us put on our gear and run sprints and other calisthenics and then site and fire immediately upon stopping. Eye opening how wide your groups get with a pounding heart while sucking wind.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
As a grunt I was always proud of qualifying expert on the old Marine KD course in the mid 70's. 500 yards with irons is no joke. I feel like I was taught great fundamentals that still serve me well to this day. That said even 03's got very little in the way of practical weapons training back then. Hits in combat are all that count of course. It looks to me like today's Marines get much better weapons training than we ever did.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
When I qual'd at Parris Island, I remember taking ten minutes to get wrapped up in the "kneeling" position, which was more like a combination of yoga and trying to cut of the circulation in your forearm with the strap. It worked as far as getting in a tight, movement free position to shoot kneeling position at 300 yrs with iron sights, but I thought it was amazingly impractical.
That shooting style seems pretty practical for the USMC in Vietnam, Korea, WW2, and WW1 - wars in which Marines defended foxholes* from an enemy that would creep up then attack in waves. Clearly not so much on 21st century battlefields

* or trenches, as WW1’s equivalent