• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC PLC NFO vs Aviator

bdhallsey

Hey guys, I'm a student at the University of Illinois and recently joined the USMC PLC program. My ASTB is a 9/9/9 and I'm kinda at a cross roads here, my eyes are correctable to 20/20 with contacts but are outside of the waiver range for pilots, but I do quailfy for NFO. The question that is haunting me is should I go NFO or get PRK lazer surgery and go pilot? It seems like the training is similar for both, I'm definately most interested in F-18s, but I'm killing myself over whether the risks of the surgery are worth the chance at pilot. Are there pros to being an F-18 NFO over pilot and if later on down the road I get the surgery would it be possible for me to get my pilots wings?

Brian

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
bdhallsey said:
Hey guys, I'm a student at the University of Illinois and recently joined the USMC PLC program. My ASTB is a 9.99 and I'm kinda at a cross roads here, my eyes are correctable to 20/20 with contacts but are outside of the 20/400 waiver range for pilots, but I do quailfy for NFO. The question that is haunting me is should I go NFO or get PRK lazer surgery and go pilot? It seems like the training is similar for both, I'm definately most interested in F-18s, but I'm killing myself over whether the risks of the surgery are worth the chance at pilot. Are there pros to being an F-18 NFO over pilot and if later on down the road I get the surgery would it be possible for me to get my pilots wings?

Brian

Brian:

My advice: If you really want to be a pilot, go for it. I can speak off of experience and say PRK is well worth it. 3 days of pain for the rest of your life. Granted I'm Navy, but I'd not be an SNFO if I hadn't gotten the PRK.

There's a forum on PRK, so take a look at that for some info. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about what its like after you get PRK'ed.

I'm also gonna tell you what I'd tell anyone who was debating SNA or SNFO. If you want to be a pilot, say so. The worst they can do is say no or give you an NFO slot. On the same token, if you'd rather be an NFO, say so as well. Remember: not all NFO's wanted to be pilots. When it comes to selections for anything, don't be afraid to tell the powers that be what you'd rather do. But also keep in mind that needs of the service trump personal preference.

Good luck and hope you get what you want.
Bubba

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Brian:

My advice: If you really want to be a pilot, go for it. I can speak off of experience and say PRK is well worth it. 3 days of pain for the rest of your life. Granted I'm Navy, but I'd not be an SNFO if I hadn't gotten the PRK.

There's a forum on PRK, so take a look at that for some info. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about what its like after you get PRK'ed.

I'm also gonna tell you what I'd tell anyone who was debating SNA or SNFO. If you want to be a pilot, say so. The worst they can do is say no or give you an NFO slot. On the same token, if you'd rather be an NFO, say so as well. Remember: not all NFO's wanted to be pilots. When it comes to selections for anything, don't be afraid to tell the powers that be what you'd rather do. But also keep in mind that needs of the service trump personal preference.

Good luck and hope you get what you want.
Bubba

I agree, make you choice now and go for it.
........and the third case is....don't go SNFO expecting or hoping to transition to front seat later on. That window opens and closes from time to time. You can't depend on it and you may not want to execute it due to career concerns later on.

bdhallsey

I guess what I want is a USMC NFO to tell me how awesome their job is. Looking at the PRK forum tells me that my timeline is probably not condusive to the surgery, I'm in my junior year of school and will go to OCS this summer and get commissioned next summer. My main motivation for wanting to fly, aside from the fact that its awesome...is my grandpa is a Ret. Lt. Colonel in the Airforce of 30 years. He served in WWII in B-24 liberators as bombadier/navigator and was awarded 3 purple hearts and 2 distingushed flying crosses. It is very special to him that I'm persuing this dream.

New question: What does an NFO in an F-18F or D do during a typical mission? What vital roles do they play and why are they nessessary, as C's and E's manage things without them?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I was under the impression that once your vision was documented at worse than 20/400, you were restricted from flying, regardless of getting PRK.

Is that not correct?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Ryan_Cunningham said:
I was under the impression that once your vision was documented at worse than 20/400, you were restricted from flying, regardless of getting PRK.

Is that not correct?

That's right. I think they say if you're outside the 8.0 diopters, you aren't eligible either way. PRK is for people who are within the NFO standards but want to go pilot. I hope it's a typo in the original post that means to say he's outside the 20/40 range, not 20/400.

bdhallsey

Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. My vision is fine for NFO. It is -6 and -5.5, left and right respectively. What I'm interested in is the differences in the roles that pilots and NFO's play when it comes to the F-18.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
bdhallsey said:
Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. My vision is fine for NFO. It is -6 and -5.5, left and right respectively. What I'm interested in is the differences in the roles that pilots and NFO's play when it comes to the F-18.

Well, I'll just come right out and say it. As an NFO, it's going to limit what you can fly. For instance, the F-18C is a single seater, as is the harrier, and you won't be in helos either. As for the different roles, besides the obvious, you'll have to find a superhornet guy to talk to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
you'll have to find a superhornet guy to talk to.
Or more appropriately, a D model guy, since the Marines don't and won't have Supers.

Brett