• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC PLC Application Questions

ebcarlson23

Hello Everyone,
I started the PLC application process a few days ago, and was wondering if I could get some advice. When talking to my OSO, he said I wanted to do all I could to make my package stand out. He mentioned that there was a full body photo needed, and I could have a private photographer do it, or his office could do it. Is it worth the money to get a photographer to do it?
Also, with the 100 word statement, I've been having trouble getting it under 100, but this is my rough draft. Any thoughts one way or the other?
"I have held many leadership positions in high school, from instructing young nordic skiers, to leading a 90 scout Boy Scout Troop. When I started to look towards a career, I didn’t look towards a job behind a desk, on an engineering team, or as a consultant. I wanted a job where I could be put my leadership skills to the test, enhance them, and challenge myself everyday; physically, mentally, and morally. I chose the Marine Corps because the long tradition of excellence, teamwork, leadership, and the “every Marine a rifleman” concept appealed to me."
Thanks for any advice!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Just have his office take the picture, and wear a dork outfit (collared shirt tucked in with some kind of slacks)

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Yeah just have the office take it. For mine, I wore slacks and a shirt and tie. He had me stand at attention in some back room in my town's recruiting station and snapped the photo. I'm not sure much clout is put into how you look in your picture... I'm guessing not much.

Your statement looks pretty good. I would change it to present tense, though:

"I have held many leadership positions in high school: from instructing young nordic skiers, to leading a 90 scout Boy Scout Troop. As I start to look towards a career, I'm not looking for a job behind a desk, on an engineering team, or as a consultant. I want a job where I can put my leadership skills to the test, enhance them, and challenge myself everyday; physically, mentally, and morally. I chose the Marine Corps because the long tradition of excellence, teamwork, leadership, and the “every Marine a rifleman” concept appealed to me."

That last sentence could probably use some tweaking too. I'll leave that to you. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you have regarding PLC / OCS.