• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC pipeline &

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
First post for me but I've been reading the site for a few weeks. Thanks everyone for all the helpful info.

question #1: On average, what percentage of the API classes are Marines?

question #2: When Marines are selected for jets or helos, do they compete against the entire class or only the Marines?

question #3: What do helo pilots do after leaving the military?

Appreciate the help,

-Greg

Ghish

I asked the same questions to a USMC pilot a few weeks ago. He said in his API class there was approximately 20-25% Marines and the rest Navy. He also said that about 30-35% would get Jets, 10-15% would get C-130 type planes, and the rest would get helos.
Unfortunately for you last question I have no answer for. The pilot I talked to flew C-130s. I hoped this helped.

-L

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Ghish, thanks for the answer.

If my math is correct, that means about 40-45% of USMC students get fixed-wing. I was under the impression that the vast majority of USMC students end up in helos???

I know that I'd enjoy flying fixed or rotary, but it seems that fixed-wing pilots have more options after leaving the military. Even if I stay in for 20 years, I'll only be 44 so I'm just thinking about the options.
Thanks for your help!

O-man

You only compeat for slots with other Marines. every class is diferent- some classes will have more fixed wing than others..It all depends on the "needs of the service" at that time. You can be the top dog in you class, but if they dont need any jets- guess what....No jets for you! huh. errr.

Ghish

O-man is definitely right. The needs of the marines is the most significant factor. The numbers I gave was just one class.

Well if you are not sure if you want to go fixed or helo, there is always the osprey. You can get the best of both worlds. I think the request line for the osprey is not very long, but who knows. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.