• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC NFO HELO

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsin

I hear NFO's who get selected for Helo are able to switch roles with the pilot. Does that mean NFOs can sit in the front of the Super Cobras
icon_smile_question.gif

Semper Fi Do or Die Gung Ho GUng Ho!!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There are no NFO's in Marine helicopters. The "gunner" who sits in front seat of the cobra is also a pilot. He has complete flight controls but limited flight instrumentation. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

davidsin

Please forgive me for being confused...But I was told that NFO's can be in Helos... So NFO's are likely or will only be in the backseat of Jets?? Can someone clearify the job description? What type of trainning do backseaters of Helos get (Cobras)? There's two in the front of most Helos, so what are their roles? Are they the same or distinctly different? What type of trainning do they go through? Thanks for the input Frumby.

If I pass all the trainning for NFO...what kind of plane will I most likely end up in? I know it depends on my performance, but what will I be able to choose from ?? ANy input would be appreciated.

Semper Fi Do or Die Gung Ho GUng Ho!!

Rainman

pilot
In talking with NFOs currently in the pipeline, their options are EA-6B Prowler or F/A-18D Hornet.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What NFO's are in the backseat of Marine C-130's? I'm curious because I've never heard of a "2 Hooker" in the back. The only other flight deck job on a Herc is the Flight Engineer and he is an enlisted man. I'm just curious.

NFO's are only in Helos like I said before or so I thought. I have to work with the Hercs here next week so I'm going to ask them. NFO's in jets are ECMO's(Electronic Countermeasures Officers) and WiSo's (I can never remember that Acronymn). Simply put, they mainly run the weapons systems (pilot has shooting authority), radar, and navigation. In helo's, they guys in the front and in the Cobra are both pilots. They recieve the same training from flight school. One is considered the HAC (helicopter Aircraft commander)and is the most senior. 2 pilots provide mutual support for each other to operate the aircraft. Think of it as a redundant system for safety and
effciency in a noisy, demanding cockpit. Both pilots have complete ability to fly from either side of the aircraft. I hope that helps.
Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Lt_SNA_USMC

Frumby:
Sir, do know any of the specifics on flying the Cobra? I know you fly jets sir, but I thought you may have some scuttlebutt on flying the Cobra. Challenging? Noisy you said?
Lt. Williamson, USMC

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Just to clarify what Josh said. Marine NFO's can only choose the
EA-6B Prowler or F-18D Hornet. I'm in NFO Primary now and those are my only choices. Not bad though...

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Hornets, all the way. Of course, i would't mind Prowlers, the ECMOs have a great mission, but I'm aiming for Hornets. It seems most Marine student NFO's here want Hornets. Well, actually, i only know 5 Marine SNFO's, and 4 want Hornets right now. But its a long process ahead of us, so many things can change...

Status
Not open for further replies.