• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC IRR -> ANG Flight Physical

FL Man

None
Good Morning,

I separated from the active duty last year, and have maintained a commission in the IRR while searching for guard/reserve UPT slots. Recently received a (tentative) offer pending an age waiver, and I am trying to lean into the medical churn as much as I can. As an NFO, I maintained an annual flight physical but I let it lapse a few months ago... two quick questions for anyone who has gone down a similar path:

-I have confirmed with MCIRSA that I can get unpaid orders to update dental and PHA, but they waffled on whether this can be done for a long-form flight physical. Has anyone in an IRR status received "associate duty orders" to complete an annual flight physical?

-Due to the expired status of the upchit, the Navy clinic needs to run me through the longform flight physical and then I will be good to go again. Anybody have enough experience with Air Force medical to say if they would do the same, or if they would instead have me go to Wright-Patterson for the FC-1? Specifically, I wonder if I can commission in the ANG and then renew my current flight physical with a USAF flight surgeon.

Thanks ahead of time for any gouge that may be out there... apologies if this belongs in the "Doc's Corner" section instead.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The tough part is that you've expired. I was able to have a current Navy flight physical pushed through, though they needed some additional stuff- my Navy flight doc and knock it out, with the help of Google for a few things (for instance, PULHES- you are a 1 across the board if you're fit for military service). If you can get a current flight physical from a Navy Doc, and then have the Navy Doc also do the AF forms, your Guard unit Flight Doc might be a bro and sign off on it.

If you go to Wright Pat, expect a NAMI experience. I'd avoid that at all costs.

FL Man

None
Swanee, thanks for the info. I'm working with a local Navy clinic to get a long form done... I'll get in touch with the ANG squadron's Flight Doc and see what he would need to sign off on my soon-to-be valid Navy flight physical.

GatorsJake

None
FL Man, just curious if you have any advice other than what Swanee and others have already stated on here based off of your experience as an NFO getting picked up for UPT. I'm a NFO who will be looking for something in the ANG/AFRC towards the end of 2023. Would be happy with pilot or CSO if I could find anything, but it seems as though CSO opportunities are fairly limited, and I would need an age waiver for as well for pilot. I'm hoping to make some in roads aver the next couple years to avoid a break in service, so any additional advice would be much appreciated. Already a lot of great info on here.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
FL Man, just curious if you have any advice other than what Swanee and others have already stated on here based off of your experience as an NFO getting picked up for UPT. I'm a NFO who will be looking for something in the ANG/AFRC towards the end of 2023. Would be happy with pilot or CSO if I could find anything, but it seems as though CSO opportunities are fairly limited, and I would need an age waiver for as well for pilot. I'm hoping to make some in roads aver the next couple years to avoid a break in service, so any additional advice would be much appreciated. Already a lot of great info on here.

There is a waiver for everything in the Guard.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Swanee, thanks for the info. I'm working with a local Navy clinic to get a long form done... I'll get in touch with the ANG squadron's Flight Doc and see what he would need to sign off on my soon-to-be valid Navy flight physical.
Sure thing. I think I have an email that explains some of the specifics from someone at the Guard Bureau. I'll try to pm it to you.

FL Man

None
Gators, the best piece of advice I can give you is start rushing early and often. Cold calling units is a solid option and a great way to feel out if a squadron is hiring; even better if you already know someone in the unit who can make introductions. Rushing for pilot slots as a "non-rated" guy is universal, you are considered an off-the-street hire competing with 22 year old college grads, regional pilots with 2,000 hours, and everything in between. Being prior service, and a winged NFO, helps because you already speak the language; a lot of the pilots I met at the -135 units I visited were the same AAR crews I had refueled with while overseas, gave us plenty to talk about. Don't sell yourself short either... if you want a pilot slot go for it. I am currently 33 and require a waiver, but the unit I am currently working with does not think it will be a problem at all. Waivers are easy until you turn 38, after which I'm told you can still get a waiver, but it needs a SECDEF signature (good luck)! I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have about rushing, applications/resumes, and interviewing. Hopefully I'll have some useful admin gouge in the next few months, but much of that has been generously shared by others who have successfully fled transitioned from active duty to the ANG or AFRES.

Reference the below sites for publicly advertised ANG/AFR pilot and CSO jobs (but not all units post here):

GatorsJake

None
There is a waiver for everything in the Guard.

That is encouraging to hear. I'm going to work on finishing up my PPL on my next set of orders (currently overseas) so I'll have that at least. It seems like age waivers aren't terrible uncommon, but also not guaranteed that a unit will want to pursue one. I'd just be happy to continue flying, but I, like many NFOs, would be lying if I said I didn't want to be at the controls. Would certainly be nice to have a marketable skill in the civilian world provided by the military as well...

Gators, the best piece of advice I can give you is start rushing early and often. Cold calling units is a solid option and a great way to feel out if a squadron is hiring; even better if you already know someone in the unit who can make introductions. Rushing for pilot slots as a "non-rated" guy is universal, you are considered an off-the-street hire competing with 22 year old college grads, regional pilots with 2,000 hours, and everything in between. Being prior service, and a winged NFO, helps because you already speak the language; a lot of the pilots I met at the -135 units I visited were the same AAR crews I had refueled with while overseas, gave us plenty to talk about. Don't sell yourself short either... if you want a pilot slot go for it. I am currently 33 and require a waiver, but the unit I am currently working with does not think it will be a problem at all. Waivers are easy until you turn 38, after which I'm told you can still get a waiver, but it needs a SECDEF signature (good luck)! I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have about rushing, applications/resumes, and interviewing. Hopefully I'll have some useful admin gouge in the next few months, but much of that has been generously shared by others who have successfully fled transitioned from active duty to the ANG or AFRES.

Reference the below sites for publicly advertised ANG/AFR pilot and CSO jobs (but not all units post here):

I definitely plan on cold calling more in the next few months when I'm back in the states. I unfortunately haven't come across too many guardsmen in my time in, but I'm connecting with the ones I have. I'll be in the same boat for age, I'll be just a few months shy of 33 prior to the end of my next set of orders. I appreciate the help though. It looks like the admin burden is well covered on here, but a lot. Right now I've just got to figure out the best place to start. I've got my resume built off of the template that was on baseops.net, so I've got that handy for any units I contact. I'll still need to work cover letters and LORs, but I've still got a bit before I can really start applying. If I come across any pointed questions about the application process though I'll be sure to reach out. Thanks, and congrats on your offer!