• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCS AEW P-3 jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Anyone here know anything about the AEW P-3 "domes" that Customs flies out of Corpus? Do they hire often? I figure they gotta be full of ex-E-2 and AWACS guys... This big gray boat stuff is getting old...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The tube rats on the radar models are e-2/awacs guys. Flight stations are almost all former USN P-3 guys.

UncleFester

Groovy. But how do you get the gig? Is it like, hire one guy every three years, or is there a failry regular hiring rate? Are they actual customs agents or civilians?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I imagine you go to the US Customs website and find the recruiting info. I know the pilots are agents. My on-wing from T-34s went to their training facility for a few months and is now a pilot/agent.

I'm still in the Nav, so this is all very, very third-hand knowledge.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The pilots are not "agents." They do go through the same Fed Law Enforcment Training Course (FLETC), but they do not do investigations. Pilots start as GS-10s, whereas agents start as GS-7s. The guys who work the backs of helos are called Aerial Enforcement Officers; they're the ones who leap out and hook up bad guys. They also work the FLIRs. I don't know the background of the guys in the backs of the P-3s. They do have 3 breeds of pilots: P-3 (used to take any large f/w, now only take P-3 rated guys), aircraft (guys who fly both helo and f/w), and airplane (f/w only). Their website has the full skinny. THey just went through a big hiring blitz. I was thinking of doing it before I decided to stick around.

UncleFester

Much as the idea of living in Corpus doesn't thrill me, there aren't that many flying jobs for Hummer NFOs with History degrees in the civvie world. It's either Customs or I go back to dealing dirt on street corners.
One month into cruise... if I have to eat chicken one more time I'm gonna strangle someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.