• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG Aircraft

skylier36

None
Does anyone know if the Coast Guard is going to upgrade their C-130 fleet to J's? Not much info available about the program, other than the six are stationed at EC.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know if the Coast Guard is going to upgrade their C-130 fleet to J's? Not much info available about the program, other than the six are stationed at EC.

They are supposed to eventually get six at Elizabeth City, but don't think they've all been delivered yet (should be by this time next year though). They are also supposed to get Deepwater surveillance packages. Haven't seen a plan to acquire more, BUT USMC reaped benefit of Congressional "adds" to transition to C-130J so if works out for Coast Guard, you might see more than the six currently on contract (I'm sure LMCO will help any way they can).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are supposed to eventually get six at Elizabeth City, but don't think they've all been delivered yet (should be by this time next year though). They are also supposed to get Deepwater surveillance packages. Haven't seen a plan to acquire more, BUT USMC reaped benefit of Congressional "adds" to transition to C-130J so if works out for Coast Guard, you might see more than the six currently on contract (I'm sure LMCO will help any way they can).

I believe they were all delievered, but I know the ones that were delivered were green, no mission systems installed. But that is being fixed, finally:

http://www.uscg.mil/deepwater/media/pr_c130jmissionization.htm

http://www.uscg.mil/deepwater/system/lrs.htm

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry so late on this, but...

The J's started parking on the tarmac at E-City in 2002/2003 if memory serves. A new command was stood up and they started writing syllabi, making new CG manuals, etc., right before they got there. Funding for missionization has lagged and the contract that we received them under did not allow the CG to missionize them themselves (doing a little reverse-engineering to put flare launchers on them, etc.). So they have been mainly doing logistics flights and training.

However, as HeyJoe pointed out the first fully missionized one is undergoing testing and will be operational soon (in theory). They will move over to the other side of the tarmac at E-City and replace the H-model C-130s beginning this coming summer. Whether we get more, it isn't currently in the plans as we are supposed to start getting more Casa C-144's (as we call them) over the next 7-10 years (we started receiving those earlier this year).

Interesting times in the fixed wing side of the CG.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
There have been a lot of CG C-130s here at Norfolk lately. Something going on down at E-City? I've seen both H and J models, although the J's don't have the FLIR in the front.

I also saw an H with a weird box coming out of the fuselage right above the wheel wells. Any idea what that is? Some sort of side scan radar?

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The runway is being re-paved at E-City so they are standing the ready/alert there until the runway is complete.

The box you saw was Side Looking Airborne Radar (SLAR) which is only on two of the planes out of E-City. It is used during International Ice Patrol deployments to track icebergs (planes deploy from Jan to June/July to Newfoundland). One of the best deals in CG aviation as the bars are awesome in St. Johns Newfoundland, and the per diem isn't bad (it was 89.00 a day when I was there 4 years ago and the exchange rate was 1 American $ to 1.40 Canadian dollar), and the women there dig Americans.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
It's definitely a sweet plane. I rode back on one once from South America for 5 freaking hours. State of the art......all glass, HUD's, new car smell!

It would probably be my aircraft of choice if I couldn't fly the one I'm in now.;)

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, it really is nice on the inside. I'm interested to see how they will perform doing long range low-level stuff; I've heard they struggle a little in that part of the flight envelope.

Still, to step inside an aircraft less than 25 years old in this organization is a real treat.

sardaddy

pilot
Well then I have a treat for you. Go to any airstation that has helicopters and step inside any one of them. They are all less than 25 years old.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Coast Guard HC-130J

HH-130J.jpg

Arlington, VA (March 4, 2008)-The Coast Guard accepted delivery of the first upgraded HC-130J long-range surveillance maritime patrol aircraft Friday. The aircraft's new mission equipment and sensor packages are designed to deliver enhanced search, detection and tracking capabilities to perform maritime search and rescue, maritime law enforcement and homeland security missions. Photo courtesy of Lockheed Martin.