• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updates on new production aircraft

hscs

pilot
Hmm, last time we took 4 total per plane. Two planes on the hop -- got 8 guys qual'd.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry Bert, but if you can do a night LL CAL you can do a night landing on spot 4. that argument falls on deaf ears. BTW, how often do guys do steep no hover landings or running takeoffs? Once a year, on a natops check.

Forgetting the Ax ships for a moment, how hard is it to get to a carrier/amphib spot at night? Honest question, not trying to be a dick about it. Just seems like it's such a huge target and fairly easy approach on goggles because it's so big and has the potential for many ancillary lights. I've never done it, so that's why I'm asking.

Couple that with taking a guy out to a Flt I DDG who has the minimum goggle hours and this is his second look at the boat....ever. I don't envy my NVDI buddies at all.

It's not that big a deal once you're at that experience level. The O-4s can be just as, if not more, dangerous.

Pags

N/A
pilot
As for the events -- well, yes, the SWTP has a lot of flights, and yes they require 2 a/c. That is how we fight, so you are going to have to get used to that.

One major issue with tactical training, is that no one does large force integrated exercises on the HSC side of the house. If you aren't doing that, then you might as well pack your bags and go home, because you won't be ready.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that this is the way that you fight. For the next several years at least, the average east coast HSC pilots' bread and butter will still be the old HC skill set: PMC, Gator SAR, and a few vertrep dets. Does HSC-8 need to have these skills next year? Yes. But how often will the Gator SAR det get tasked to go over the beach?

hscs

pilot
How are you going to get tasked to go over the beach when no one has done the Strike syllabus? The other issue is that the B kits are not out yet. However, the community needs to get used to doing more than SAR and VERTREP. As evidenced by the small number of cruises available, your assets are underutilized due to low ESG cruises and VERTREP outsourcing. That under-utilization will be noticed, a la air ambulance.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
As evidenced by the small number of cruises available, your assets are underutilized due to low ESG cruises and VERTREP outsourcing.

How are they making HACs with a shortage of cruises? Are they still having lots of guys bumping into the 2 year limit?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Still making HACs -- question is, how is the quality of the product?

I imagine the same will apply for USMC when they roll from regular Iraq rotations to floating again. Got to be a lot of HACs with plenty of overland experience that have barely seen the boat.