• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello everybody,

Hope everything is going well for everyone. I see that we've had a number of individuals from the forum get selected for aviation. So congrats to all of you. It also looks as though a number of new individuals are applying as well. Good luck to all you.

As for me, I recently put my SWO pin on. Actually, it was on December 28 if I remember correctly. That is definately a load off of my shoulders. Now its time for my next qual, Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW). It's not a mandatory qual, but definately something worthwile to get. I think I'll enjoy getting that, since I am much more engineering inclined. In June, I'll be transferring to the USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN out of Everett, WA as the Electrical Officer. I got my first choice across the board...duty station, ship type, and billet.

As most of you know, John is away. Note that I didn't say the word "deployment." Yes, he is technically deployed away from home. But far, far from being on deployment. You see, John is basically livin it up over there. He's got his own room, a full size refrigerator, t.v./vcr, laundry service, internet access from his room, and a guy that shines his friggin shoes for crying out loud. Oh, don't let me forget about the per diem he's making each day. So if any of you get any messages from him begging for care packages (I've got about a 100 desperate emails from him so far), don't give in. He should send YOU a care package.

Of course most of what I just said is true, the real story is that John is flying his ass off. The last email I received said he flew 60 hours in 7 days. That's a good amount of time.

In any event, I'm trying to get everything transfered over to the new server for the new and improved look and feel. I think you guys will like it.

Take care,

Steve Wilkins

spidrwmn

Steve,

So is this new position something you have to go back to "school" for, or is this the type of knowledge you picked up through SWOS and your previous post? What exactly does an electrical officer do?

- spider

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spider,

The electrical officer job on a carrier is a second tour division officer billet whereas on other ships it is typically a first tour billet. Reason being is that on a carrier, E-Div (electrical division) is made up of about 85 personnel (blue shirts and chiefs). At least, that's how many it is on the Lincoln.

To answer your question, however, I am not scheduled to go to any other schools in order to perform this next job of mine. I do have a pretty good background in engineering and electrical theory and operation in particular due to my nuke experience as an electrician. So as far as that goes, I don't think there's really anything they can teach that will be new to me. However, as a divo, I will be more involved with the administative side of the division than anything else, along with the ship's electrical tagout system and electrical safety program. In that respect, I don't really see the need for them to send me to any kind of specialized schools. It would be nice to brush up on the steam plant again (I've been around gas turbine propulsion for a bit now). But I can re-read some engineering stuff I've downloaded from the SWOS homepage.

I've already talked to the Lincoln to let them know I am coming and basically to touch base with someone there. I was told the divisional breakdown is something like this. You have your department head whom I suspect would still be the CHENG on a carrier. Then he has a Principal Assistant (semi quasi department head). The Principal Assistant (or Electrical Officer) has two officers who work for him, a second tour divo (me) and probably a LDO (Limited Duty Officer) or a dirty Warrant Officer. For me, I was told I would initially be the Electrical Division Officer, not to be confused with the Electrical Officer. The LDO or Warrant is responsible for all the 3M stuff (maintenance, etc), dealing mainly with the technical side of the division. I think after being there for awhile, I would eventually move up to be the Principal Assistant (Electrical Officer) who would liason between the two other officers and the CHENG. I don't know if this really answers your question, but hopefully provides you with a little more insight. If I'm off target, let me know.

Certainly, I'll have a better idea once I get there. The next time the Lincoln pulls into North Island, I plan to go over for a visit and meet some folks.

This is just a side note, but I noticed you are putting in an OCS package with a first choice of SWO. I have to admit, I am curious as to what your motivation is and what your goals are seeing as you are a fairly active member on a military aviation website.

--Steve Wilkins

spidrwmn

Steve,

First off, thanks for answering my question -I am forever curious about what makes Navy ships tick.

As for me, I am the daughter of two ex-hippies who think I have officially lost my mind ( in regards to my wish to join the military). But I have been interested in the military for as long as I can remeber, and specifically the Navy and I have always wanted to serve my country ( as anti-generation X as that sounds).

SWO seemed like the most interesting and challenging of the choices ( although I admit if I was a little taller and had better eye sight I might be pulled between pilot and SWO). But being as I am 4'10" and blind as a bat, the intricacies (sp?) and daily rituals of Surface warfare officers is exerting the strongest pull.

In regards to this website, there is a great deal of info on the application process and OCS itself which is a great help, and there is, of course, the SWO section with has provided me with a lot of helpful insights into the surface navy.

- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 01/11/2002 09:23:10

Status
Not open for further replies.