• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

This is just an update on my disappointing situation. Those of you who remember I am in the BDCP program with an SNA designation. I was supposed to report to OCS on the 9th of Sept. but two days prior I was trying to get in one last day of wakeboarding and busted an eardrum on a fall.
My hearing finally returned but we then found out that I also have a hole somewhere in my inner ear. I have an OCS date of 9 Dec but I have to miss my upcoming ACES physical so my start date will be bumped indefinately. I have to have another physical because my original flight physical was done last Dec. It appears that my ear is not going to heal on its own so I go in this week to discuss having surgery. So right now I basically have no clue what is going to happen or how long the Navy will remain this patient with me, but until it gets better I'm not even cleared for OCS.
Wish me luck.

Congrats to ASU on his acceptane into the Air Force. Best of Luck.

Dave Shutter

Huge bummer...that's too bad about your ear!I don't know if you've followed my posts or not, but I had knee surgery this year for a bone tumor in my femur. Everything came out alright, but there are still voids in my femur that the bone cement didn't fill, and the bone is still healing from where the tumor ate it away. I can walk, work (on my feet all day: cook) and have full range of motion and eveything but there is one problem: impact ie: running! I'll jog one day and feel great, but the next day I'll get out of bed and it'll feel like a hot knife in my knee. If I was younger this would be no big deal, just wait a year or so and be good to go, but I'm inching close to 29, being prior service is the only reason this is still remotely feasible, but even that litle window is running out. I could probably grudge my way though the PRT for my application and I'm confident I could pass my physical and get my measly two waivers, (Dave Damado said there was a Navy guy in API with EIGHT WAIVERS!!!) but in OCS you can run between 3-5 miles a day! I'd never see API! They'd send me home from OCS after a week in a wheelchair! Anyway, in the next couple of weeks I'm going to take another shot at getting past my PRT and then my physical, I'll let y'all know.

Best of luck Jeff and keep us posted!

PS: I saw Joan Lunden on TV getting the tour of Fort Knox and the Army Armor School on her goofy new show (she flew cat's&traps in a Hornet on another episode) and she was driving and firing the M1-A2. Sniff sniff...I miss my tank!

D

Jeff

Well it seems that things are finally looking up for me. My ear appears to be back to normal, and since it heeled on its own I can be put on flight status immediately. However, I am going to ask for a couple months before shipping off to OCS because I haven't been allowed to do any physical activities for 3 or 4 months now. Needless to say I am in terrible shape and do not want to humiliate myself at OCS. So now I just have to go down to NOMI for another physical and then suffer through OCS, bust my butt through API and Primary and then finally begin intermediate in Atridian (a.k.a. Meridian). Sounds easy enough anyways.

vicki

Jeff,

Do you have an ACES date or a flight physical date? I'm being fed the line that the next ACES program starts Feb. 5 and I can't get a flight physical etc. until then. I'd like to know if you heard something different. Good luck.

Jeff

I am not sure, I know that I was supposed to go down in the ACES program either last weekend or this weekend that is about over. But my doctor here hasn't cleared me yet. When I went down last year as a NAPE, it was during the second week of DEC. so I don't know why they would have stopped already. But I'll talk to my recruiters tomorrow and let you know what I hear.

Good Luck!

Dave Shutter

Speaking of NAPE and ACES? I know what purpose they serve but I am still wondering which of the two they do? Is there a difference between the two? Is one old and the other new? Whichever the current one is: is it true that it's a week long and they give you a ride in something at the end?

D

Jeff

I originally went down last Dec. as a NAPE. We were there for about four days, in which we rented a car and tooled around p'cola, then went to Panama city one night. Of course you get the physical but we also got to tour the base and see the dunkers, spin and puke, the chamber and go out to the flight line. They also show you around OCS and give you a feel for what thats like. As for ACES I was it is the same thing but you get ride in a t-34 at the end of it all.

Dave Shutter

Thanx...

But is it a full week long or four days?

Vicki...just got off the phone with me Rec' and he says that ACES is held every month, especially this time of the year with the new FY having just opened!

D

Dave Shutter

...forgot to ask (and you can't edit messages JOHN!)[Hmm I could edit your message, will see if a newer version of the Forum is out -- John Wickham], do you sign up and swear in before going off to ACES? My rep said ACES is done after you get an OCS start date.

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jeff: Conrgrats on getting your hearing back, I hope everything goes well with getting your next physical and on into OCS.

Dave: Don't make me change your title again!! jk Was able to edit your message, though will check to see if there is a newer version of the forum out with bug fixes... thx for the heads up on that.

Vicki: If you have the time and or inclination, would you be interested in typing up that info on ACES, and I will add it to the website? I can't tell you how many emails I have gotten that have asked about that, and it would save me time and help people out by just pointing them to a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.