• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unloading the aircraft (T-34 vs T-6)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Unloading the jet = 0 g's - In the F-4, unloading and lighting the burners was worth about 50 kts almost immediately

Hmm...sweet...

O g's never seemed comfortable to me in PA's...it may have been the fact that if you did it long enough the engine might stop working.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmm...sweet...

O g's never seemed comfortable to me in PA's...it may have been the fact that if you did it long enough the engine might stop working.

If you were doing 0 g's in PAs, you were doing something wrong...plus that whole engine will stop working thing you mentioned.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While I think my statement still stands, I forgot you were a Vance guy. I don't know the particulars of the T-6 engine oil system. But a FAIP FCP? Or was he an OCF guy?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's been awhile, but yea...I'm pretty sure he was an FCF bubba. He'd been in T-6s for a lonnnnng time waiting on IFF and his Viper slot, and was fairly long in the tooth for a FAIP, but a FAIP nonetheless.

I don't know if there were any dedicated OCF guys at Vance, never heard the term thrown around while I was out there.

And our oil system was similar to the 34s. 0 G's were not supposed to last any longer than it took time for the IP to scream "WHAT THE SHIT NEW GUY?!"

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It's been awhile, but yea...I'm pretty sure he was an FCF bubba. He'd been in T-6s for a lonnnnng time waiting on IFF and his Viper slot, and was fairly long in the tooth for a FAIP, but a FAIP nonetheless.

I don't know if there were any dedicated OCF guys at Vance, never heard the term thrown around while I was out there.

And our oil system was similar to the 34s. 0 G's were not supposed to last any longer than it took time for the IP to scream "WHAT THE SHIT NEW GUY?!"

5 sec 0-G (oil cavitation)...15-sec Inverted (fuel depletion)

Shit like that is why I can't remember the power source for the SDRS while the Ass/Seat Switch is engaged...

FLY_USMC

pilot
The Tweet didn't mind zero G at all. We had the "180 Club" on our G-Meter. Pointing straight up was 6.67 g's, and straight down was like -2.67 g's. We would do both on a flight...and hence....join the 180 club. Outside barrell rolls inverted are not cool nor fun.

Unloading also cleans up the jet. If you are doing any type of maneuvering, inevitably Mr. Computer has the flaps and slats programmed out, maybe a little rudder toe in or out here and there. Unloading fairs everything, hence cleaning up the jet and giving you pretty good instantaneous acceleration.

I'm not sure how T-6 land was, but T-37 land had 2 Majors that I could remember that were both OCF guys.

yak52driver

Contributor

OCF = Out of Control Flight?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
5 sec 0-G (oil cavitation)...15-sec Inverted (fuel depletion)

Shit like that is why I can't remember the power source for the SDRS while the Ass/Seat Switch is engaged...

The 15 second is actually oil depletion, not fuel depletion. The fuel system will fly inverted all day...well, 800 #s at a time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OCF means Operational Check Flight. It's a post-maintenance flight that does not require the full FCF profile, nor an FCF qualified pilot.

On the Navy side, at least at the TRACOM, OCF means Out of Control flight. An OCF qual is usually obtained along w/ other Stan/NATOPS quals. What you would call an OCF we call an IFE (or at least in the helo world...and T-34s, now that I think about it).

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
If you were doing 0 g's in PAs, you were doing something wrong...plus that whole engine will stop working thing you mentioned.

So thats what my IP meant when he kept saying, "Quit unloading the plane you retard" in PA's....

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
On the Navy side, at least at the TRACOM, OCF means Out of Control flight. An OCF qual is usually obtained along w/ other Stan/NATOPS quals. What you would call an OCF we call an IFE (or at least in the helo world...and T-34s, now that I think about it).

I guess I wasn't following the conversation correctly. I thought we were talking about T-6s at Vance.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess I wasn't following the conversation correctly. I thought we were talking about T-6s at Vance.

I think we got cross-mojinated. I see where the confusion is. Me still using Navy terms when talking about things Vance.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I think we got cross-mojinated. I see where the confusion is. Me still using Navy terms when talking about things Vance.

Sweet! I love complete loss of SA, especially when I'm participating in a discussion...or, think I am...heh heh.