• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Question

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Since the Flight Suit thread was closed I opened this.

The uniform regs for Flight Suit (art 6803 if you're looking for it) name tags states:
"Rank shall be indicated on the name tag. Required name tags shall be centered on the left breast above the slash pocket and below the shoulder seam. Name tags for sage green jackets or vest will be black or brown leather or cloth embroidered in squadron colors, and 2 inches by 4 inches in size. Name tags for tan jackets shall be brown leather or matching tan cloth embroidered in squadron colors and 2 inches by 4 inches in size. Centered in the top field will be the aircrew designation insignia (i.e., pilot, NFO, aircrew, EAWS, etc.)." [emphasis mine]

So the question is, do I or don't I put my silver dolphins on my name tag until I'm winged? Until reading the regs I had planned on it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of the flight suit regs are hard and fast. Some of them are more of a guideline than a rule, at least in practice. As you go through the training command, you'll see which ones are which. And some of them differ depending on whether you have wings.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I've seen prior guys with all sorts of insignia on their name tag in flight training. No big deal really. If you were Aircrew expect some random salutes from studs thinking you are an IP.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Wear 'em. Plenty of prior guys wear their ESWS or dolphins or dive pins on their tags. No big deal. You'll see all kinds of things on name tags, and you won't wear them for very long anyways...two weeks in API then some of primary while the squadron is getting you your own squadron nametag.

Here's a question that's been in the back of my head and was jogged by this thread, mods feel free to throw it somewhere else.... but why are the Aircrew and SEAL pins gold, even for enlisted, while the ESWS, AW, Dolphins etc are silver?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never known anyone to give people crap for wearing a pin that you rate on a leather nametag. Some pins might get you some razzing (Merchant Marine, SSBN Patrol, Craftmaster) because people perceive them as strictly bling - that is, a pin you wear to have something to wear.

A warfare pin is always kosher.

Here's a question that's been in the back of my head and was jogged by this thread, mods feel free to throw it somewhere else.... but why are the Aircrew and SEAL pins gold, even for enlisted, while the ESWS, AW, Dolphins etc are silver?

Cuz it made sense to someone at the time. There's no logic to the system. The SEALs probably look at it as a "we're all SEALs first, E or O makes no difference" thing. The AC wings were adapted from the old NAO wings. Why are Naval Parachutist wings are gold and the EOD pins are silver?

Tradition!

mostel_z_pic2.jpg

kinnickmutt

i rock my merchant marine sea chicken with pride. i went to sea(for well over a year) and spent 4 years of "college" training to earn the right to wear that on my uniform. After grauduation I could have gone and made an obscene amount of money driving ships for civilian companies. I could have gone and "swo-tivated" myself and had an easy life as a ship driver. I could wear that Merchant Marine pin on my uniform once a year for two weeks. But I didn't. I resent the fact that you would call that pin "bling". Take a look at what the merchant marine did during both world wars, korea, vietnam, and all of the recent gulf conflicts...i know im gonna catch some hell for posting this, but ill still wear my thunder chicken as long as im qualified to do so.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i rock my merchant marine sea chicken with pride...blah blah Merchant Marine defensive player of the year...

woot-go-you.jpg

That's nice. I'm sure you earned it. So did my friends who went to King's Pt, Maine Maritime and CMA. But the Merchant Thunder Chicken isn't a warfare device earned in the Fleet, so it's considered as bling by some. Which is what I said. Sorry you got your feelings hurt.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've seen prior guys with all sorts of insignia on their name tag in flight training. No big deal really. If you were Aircrew expect some random salutes from studs thinking you are an IP.

Maybe not with that big ass NASC shield right next to the nametag :p

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN

Its one of the few types of training where both officer and enlisted men go through together. It use to have two grades (sliver for Es and gold for Os) but that stopped in the ‘70s. Don’t know why parachutist wings are gold… guess Es and Os go through the same training too. Navy does what ever it wants for different reasons… just like the SEAL trident is the only time in the U.S. government that the eagle’s head is pointed down – respect!

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Speaking of flight suit regs... What is the reg regarding wearing personal protection equipment such as a civilian leather jacket (for motorcycle riding) over my flight suit while riding my bike to work? Can I wear it or do I need to wear the green one?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of flight suit regs... What is the reg regarding wearing personal protection equipment such as a civilian leather jacket (for motorcycle riding) over my flight suit while riding my bike to work? Can I wear it or do I need to wear the green one?

The Navy motorcycle-safety regs say that thou shalt wear a long-sleeved "brightly colored upper outer garment" during the day and something reflective at night. I usually wear the Icon or Harley "milspec" vest over my Nomex or leather; that covers the rules.

Civilian bike PPE is kosher, but take it off when you get where you're going.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
The Navy motorcycle-safety regs say that thou shalt wear a long-sleeved "brightly colored upper outer garment" during the day and something reflective at night. I usually wear the Icon or Harley "milspec" vest over my Nomex or leather; that covers the rules.

Civilian bike PPE is kosher, but take it off when you get where you're going.

Awesome. Thanks.