• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

uniform question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessone

I have a question about uniforms, specifically about the whites. The Marine Officer's Guide (Sixth Edition, 1996) doesn't say they've fallen out of use, but I don't see then listed on websites for buying uniforms, either.

The reason I ask is that I'm getting married a little after I hope to be commissioned, and my fiancee would like me to wear a white tux or the white dress "A" uniform. If the whites are still in somewhat regular use (or especially if they are required), then it makes sense to just buy them and wear them for my commissioning and wedding. But if I'll never wear them again, I'd rather just rent a tux. Any thoughts from people who are already in the Corps?

mottoalex

The blue-white dress uniform is somewhat mysterious. For officers the uniform authorized for most occasions, however if enlisted personal are present you need to match what they are wearing. I know as an enlisted person the blue-white dress uniform is rarely authorized. Below is a link to the USMC Uniform Regulations. Chapter 2 has the answer to your question.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URTOC.htm#URCH2

Espy
USMC
2nd Lt.

O-man

OK, so now this brings to mind another question. Blue/white..Are we talking about the white pants with the normal dress blue? Like the Marines at 8th and Ist.? (Either way, I was always interested about those white pants, they look so sharp and I dont even rate a blood stripe yet).... But I think that Tessone may be talking about the uniform that is cut just like the dress blues but All white. My father was winged in that uniform and I think that they are called tropical whites- I'll ask. I doubt that they are still around for some reason though- I have not heard anyhting about them....

Tessone

I am talking about the all-white uniform, yes. It's in the Marine Officer's Guide and is listed as "White Dress 'A'". It can also be worn in an undress form as well, though that seems to be rarer. For visual reference, it's the uniform in the center of this painting: http://www.heritagestudio.com/plate6.htm

As for the blue/white uniform, that's what the guy who was commissioned from my college (Knox College) this year wore to graduation. Is wearing it really that rare?

On a somewhat related note, does anyone else thing the new utilities look a little odd? I saw a picture of the CMC with his son, and he was wearing the new uniform. The pockets look really odd.

Tessone

Oh, whoops:

2004. WHITE DRESS UNIFORM. As of 1 October 2000, the officer's white dress uniform is no longer authorized for wear. (ALMAR 144/99)

What a bummer. That's about the only uniform another service (in this case, the Navy) has that I envy. Marine uniforms are just hands-down better than any other service's, but it's too bad that uniform isn't authorized anymore.

Oh well, I'll be in civilian clothes for my wedding, and I guess I'll end up wearing the blue/white uniform for my commissioning (provided I get that far!)

Thanks for the link.

DMan

Devil Dogs,

I checked the page on http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URTOC.htm#URCH2 and went to http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/images/URFigs/URTbl2-1.htm , which talks about which uniform is authorized for liberty and found a discrepancy.

It says that Dress Blue "B" is not authorized for liberty, but if you go to http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/bc9ae2674a92558d852569140064e9d8/6d62f5fbea2cc03a85256850005ee8de?OpenDocument

and download the official Order MCO P1020.34F, you will see that at Paragraph 2003.3 that it actually is authorized.

To Tessone,
I think it's common for Marines, Officers and Enlisted, to wear our Dress Blue for weddings (since everyone probably owns one and we have to have the same uniform for the occasion), especially if you want to have the sword ceremony. Might want to convince your finacee to let you wear that . The proper procedure is in the Marine Officer's Guide, as you probably know already.

DMan

Tessone

The problem is that she wants me to wear white. I'm kind of inclined to wear white, too, but I'd also like to wear my uniform. So I'm torn. I guess we'll see closer to time, once PLC is out of the way and we're more in decision-making mode for the wedding. We still have two years to decide, anyway.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Trust me, seeing the Whites depart the pattern was a welcome sight. The damn things were made of cotton and were impossible to keep clean. After about a year, they would yellow and you had to spend $300 to replace them. The Blue/White dress is ceremonial. In fact, I wore it only once for a Navy CO's change of command. Give me my Blood Stripe Britches or my Mess Dress any day of the week.
Tell your bride that white reflects the strobe flash too much in pictures and your Dress Blues will not. Tell the Blues will accent her dress nicely and make her Really stand out. Good luck. Semper Fi, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I got married May 20, 2000, and I didn't even think twice about wearing my blues. I was a Sgt then. Jess (wife) came from a military family and knew that it was important to me. Has your wife-to-be seen you in your blues yet? Maybe that will be the deciding factor. If you're unsure, do it anyway, you'll look back on it and never regret it.

"You forgot your furtune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.