• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Costs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassen

Hey all, I keep hearing different stories about how much money we spend at OCS. So I'm hoping to get the exact answer with this thread. My recruiter told me that we are given a uniform allowance to cover our uniform costs, and that we would not need more than the $300 they recommend we bring to OCS. I've asked him that question 3 times and he always tells me I won't owe any extra money. However, I still hear conflicting stories (or maybe it's just that my recruiter is glossing over the whole truth). Here is a post from someone else which contradicts what my recruiter said:

"As far as uniforms go, they give you $1197 fairly early (hold onto it in savings!) into OCS. That is the amount that you have to give them on the last day before picking up your ID showing your new rate/rank. My husband went the cheaper route, and did not get his uniforms from Abbotts, he got them from the NEX, which looked better to me anyway. When he left he still owed a little over $900. That can be "financed" through NEX at 0% interest rate for one year. You can also pay them off with a credit card, but with no interest it doesn't make much sense to do that. After commissioning maybe a month or so later, he also got an extra $600 deposited in his paycheck that I imagine is there to help defray uniform costs. I am almost positive that all new ensigns get that. I'm an sure that there are differences between men and women uniform costs, but I can imagine a huge difference."

and from someone else:

"OCS is expensive! You will have to purchase your initial uniforms and gear and that bill will run you about $1000. This bill must be paid the week before you graduate OCS, otherwise you will not be able to check out of the school. Here is a tip: At the NEX you may apply for a military STAR card. Your first purchase with the card will save you 10%. Use the STAR card to pay off your uniform bill and you will save about $100 (provided you pay off the card in full when you receive the bill). And don't use the card before you pay off your bill. The 10% is on the first purchase only.

Also, you will have to purchase your regular Officer uniforms (khakis, dress blues and dress whites) from either the NEX or ABBOT. This will cost you another $800-$1200 depending on what you want to buy. There are purchase plans for these uniforms, but make sure you save your money for this."

Can anyone clear up this issue with 100% certainty? Thank you!!

-brian

"Peace over anger, honor over hate, strength over fear."

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to know the answer too... how much to save before I get there?

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
You will spend approximately $2000 on your uniforms while you are there. This depends on how many stencils you screw up and which options you take with the uniform packages. If you get all of your uniforms through the Navy exchange you can pay off everything at the end and save almost $200 using the star card. You also have the option of getting your dress uniforms through a company called abbots which is a little more expensive. You will get the initial allowance of approx. $1200 and then after grad you will get another $600. So, your out of pocket expense is not that bad. Just don't go crazy buying extra uniform items or stuff like swords that you really don't need.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Hey pat, not everyone liked it as much as you and had to go through alot of it twice. Now I just have to wait for your crack about me and when I am getting out of API.

Status
Not open for further replies.