• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Underwater Excercises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redline

How bad are the excercises like the Dilbert dunker and helo dunkers? More specific is it hard to keep water out of the nose or do you just let it in and with stand the pain?

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
John,
Actually we do not do the dilbert dunker any more at API, I am not sure why I forgot to ask when I was there yesterday. What we do now is something called a sweat chair and of course the helo dunker. I did the chair yesterday and it wasn't too bad. What the chair does is it flips you upside down and there is a metal framework that simulates getting out of a helo. You do it three ways the first is not getting flipped got swimming through it. Then you get flipped and swim through it, and after that you are blindfolded, and swim through it. Getting water up your nose does suck, but you basically just have to be ready and deal with it, and it not that bad. In the end don't worry about it just have fun with it!Because believe it or not you are actually getting paid to do this!

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Hey Guys and Gals,
You'll do a total of four runs in the helo dunker. The first run is exiting the closest exit to your seat. Second run is EVERYONE goes out the main cabin door that you entered the 9D5. Keep in mind that both of these runs you will not be wearing the "black-out" googles, however, the next TWO runs you will be. Also, as you move on in the training sequence you will be in a different seat each time. The last two runs are a repeat of the first two with the dreaded googles. Here's my advice:
1. If you can avoid that port side aft seat on the last run do so!
2. Don't kick your G**D***D feet!
3. Keep at least one hand on your reference points as you move thru the cabin.
4. Don't panic, if you do remember there are safety divers to get you out of extremis.
Good luck ladies and gentleman:)

Regards,
Kaman

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Hi (Again),
I went back and noticed the concerns on the inversion seat. This sounds like the HEED trainer, and it's a "slice o' pie". Very low pressure in the shallow end of the pool. Just do what the instructors tell you to do. Use your tongue on the roof of your mouth to create a positive pressure in your sinuses, and not too much, if any water should get in. The worst thats gonna happen is it might burn a little from the chlorine, but again DO NOT panic, just try and relax...If water goes in your snoot, blow out a little and get that positive pressure going again. Practice in the pool by hanging your calves on the pool deck and then gently lean back until your inverted with your back against the pool bulkhead (doesn't all that nautical talk make you want to pack your sea bags?). Good luck...and RELAX in the water folks.

Regards,

Kaman

Status
Not open for further replies.