• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uncorrected Vision Influence on Specialization

So my vision is 20/25 and correctable to 20/20. I already got a pilot slot and I know that I am physically qualified to pilot anything in the Navy, but my question is this: will my vision ever play factor during the selection process after basic training? I just have a hard time believing they want anyone without 20/20 uncorrected in jets. And if I'm wrong, how do jet pilots correct to 20/20. Do they have goggles or do they get Lasik?

Lionheart

Question for anyone. Had eye issue at MEPS 4 months ago, didn't pass for SNA. Sent me to NAMI for further evaluation. Passed at NAMI 3 months ago. Selected SNA. What happens if no pass at OCS next month. Does OCS trump NAMI's prior findings/tests or does NAMI trump OCS's findings. Of course, might not even be an issue there, but if so??

Question for anyone. Had eye issue at MEPS 4 months ago, didn't pass for SNA. Sent me to NAMI for further evaluation. Passed at NAMI 3 months ago. Selected SNA. What happens if no pass at OCS next month. Does OCS trump NAMI's prior findings/tests or does NAMI trump OCS's findings. Of course, might not even be an issue there, but if so??
I'm in a very similar boat. I was originally disqualified for SNA at MEPS because of depth perception. Got it resolved at military clinic and then I was selected for SNA. It is my understanding that if you don't pass the test at OCS, you will go home if you do not decide to re-designate.

Lionheart

thx Mathew; probably right. While understanding the basic MEPS physical for the NAVY in general, just seems strange to do 2 more complete physicals within 3 months of one another for aviation candidates (at OCS & NAMI). Why not just do one "big one" to accomplish what needs to be done and save money. Guess I just don't understand. Maybe changing things is like turning a carrier in a river.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So my vision is 20/25 and correctable to 20/20. I already got a pilot slot and I know that I am physically qualified to pilot anything in the Navy, but my question is this: will my vision ever play factor during the selection process after basic training? I just have a hard time believing they want anyone without 20/20 uncorrected in jets. And if I'm wrong, how do jet pilots correct to 20/20. Do they have goggles or do they get Lasik?
Drone pilots don’t need strong vision.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
thx Mathew; probably right. While understanding the basic MEPS physical for the NAVY in general, just seems strange to do 2 more complete physicals within 3 months of one another for aviation candidates (at OCS & NAMI). Why not just do one "big one" to accomplish what needs to be done and save money. Guess I just don't understand. Maybe changing things is like turning a carrier in a river.

MEPS' job isn't to qualify people for certain jobs. The process flow would slow down significantly if they tried to accommodate jobs. Additionally, the funding and manning isn't there to assign flight docs/NAMI personnel to each MEPS to qualify individuals for Pilots.

I feel like part of my question wasn't quite answered: if you have two top students in a class and one needs glasses to get to 20/20 and the other doesn't, will the Navy put weight on that during their selection process for jets?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I feel like part of my question wasn't quite answered: if you have two top students in a class and one needs glasses to get to 20/20 and the other doesn't, will the Navy put weight on that during their selection process for jets?

The aviators here pretty much told you the answer. As long as your physically qualified it doesn’t matter - whether you have to wear glasses or not.