• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unaccompanied Housing In Pensacola?

Hogue28

I’m currently active duty stationed in NTAG Pittsburgh with my wife and two children. I class up for OCS in APR24. Looking ahead for housing options in Pensacola. Plan is to have my family stay in Pennsylvania while I live in Pensacola for schooling. The problem will be trying to afford two places. Is there unaccompanied housing for prior service members? If not, any recommendations for a cheap method to live down there? I’ve considered getting roommates and renting a place, or taking down a camper. Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I’m currently active duty stationed in NTAG Pittsburgh with my wife and two children. I class up for OCS in APR24. Looking ahead for housing options in Pensacola. Plan is to have my family stay in Pennsylvania while I live in Pensacola for schooling. The problem will be trying to afford two places. Is there unaccompanied housing for prior service members? If not, any recommendations for a cheap method to live down there? I’ve considered getting roommates and renting a place, or taking down a camper. Thanks!

You might be able to find a few posts about geo Baching or living in Pensacola on here

Pianistwithwings

Grumpy Cat
None
Buy a house down there and rent it out to other aviators going through the pipeline after you?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The news about home insurance rates in Florida would give pause buying a house now in FL, at least researching it a bit more before purchasing.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I’m just going to caution you against Geobaching for flight school (assuming you’re an SNA/SNFO candidate). I certainly can understand if your family is settled and you want to move them minimally, but it’s going to be hard and leave isn’t easy to come by as an SNA.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Former instructor here. I would also strongly recommend against geo-bach while you're in flight school. I get the logic on paper - don't make the family move around when your location and timing are uncertain. In reality, being away from your wife and kids for 2+ years is stress and distraction you don't need on top of an already heavy workload.

Flight school is not like a typical Navy school, where you get knocked off at lunchtime on Friday (or earlier) and unless you're on the duty section, no duties or responsibilities until muster on Monday. It's more like a very demanding grad school. You will need to be living in the books, and once you're flight-side, weekends are for cross-countries, or studying if you're not scheduled. Leave is rarely granted for students and usually only for special circumstances (like, mom's hospitalized type special circumstances). Especially since your family won't be within a reasonable drive distance, your chances to see them will be very, very few and far between. You (and the wife and kids) would need to be fully prepared for long-awaited (and paid for) weekend visits being cancelled at the last minute because StuCon needs you to catch up on X's.

Some students do make it work, and obviously a lot depends on the people in question. I've known way, way more that regretted it than were glad they did it.

Mortgage rates are about %8.5. Not a great time to buy real estate.
Your assumption is that rates are going to go down and prices will stay the same so there will be a future point where your total monthly outlay will be less? Usually, what happens is that as rates come down prices climb. If you can live with a high monthly payment for a period of time, you may want to buy when rates are up and prices are low, so that you can refinance in the future and get a lower monthly payment while still maximizing home value.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your assumption is that rates are going to go down and prices will stay the same so there will be a future point where your total monthly outlay will be less? Usually, what happens is that as rates come down prices climb. If you can live with a high monthly payment for a period of time, you may want to buy when rates are up and prices are low, so that you can refinance in the future and get a lower monthly payment while still maximizing home value.
My assumption is that an Ensign with a family plus the expenses of maintaining a second household won't be able to afford much of a house when the cost of borrowing money is so high.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interest rates are high, and the rental market is perpetually saturated in and around Pensacola. Buying a house during flight school with the intent of renting it out after you wing, is not good headwork right now.