• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ufo sightings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was flying dawn patrol one morning, right after dawn in the middle of the Eastern Pacific, and some "position lights" went right down the right side of the aircraft (I was right seat). It looked close enough that I actually started to jink. Once it was about at 3 o'clock, my brain had caught up and realized it was a meteor and that maneuvering wasn't going to help me. I have no idea how close it was...could have been couple hundred yards or could have been a mile, but it's amazing what tricks your eyes can play on you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was flying dawn patrol one morning, right after dawn in the middle of the Eastern Pacific, and some "position lights" went right down the right side of the aircraft (I was right seat). It looked close enough that I actually started to jink. Once it was about at 3 o'clock, my brain had caught up and realized it was a meteor and that maneuvering wasn't going to help me. I have no idea how close it was...could have been couple hundred yards or could have been a mile, but it's amazing what tricks your eyes can play on you.

I was in the backseat one night with an O-3 USAF pilot and an O-4 up front. This was in the days before NVGs and we were doing an instrument RR. Anyway, the two clowns in the front managed to convince themselves that the planet orbiting several millions of miles in the distance was actually an aircraft bearing down on us. Despite repeated calls to center about the "traffic" and some evasive maneuvers. Only after I pointed out their bogey in the sky once we were back on deck in Whidbey did they admit they had become obsessed with a stellar object.

Brett

pdx

HSM Pilot
Just wait until you go on cruise, my young Padawan!

I've already had the great fortune of seeing the "milkbowl" effect shooting a T-34 TACAN approach into Patrick AFB. Vis was 4 miles with bright sun, but once we got out over the water, the horizon just faded out. I could kind of see the water about 2000 feet below, but it was very disorienting. Flying with vague or erroneous visual cues is definitely more difficult than flying under the bag.

I can't imagine flying on a foggy night to the back of a frigate, but I guess it is coming soon enough.

MasterBates

PM me or post if you have questions about it. 442 small boat landings as of last Thursday. Not an expert, but I know a thing or 2 about it.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Over my long flying career, I have seen many so-called, "UFO's"… "Objects" I saw, that I thought might be "flying" and which I could not exactly "identify" what they were. (I.E. Mars on the horizon.)

Most were hilarious and would totally disappoint even the most rabid UFO fanatic. However….

As a commercial airline pilot in the early 1990's, past LAS on the descent to LAX, we switched frequencies to SOCAL approach control. We couldn't check in because of the unusual chatter. Apparently, something significant had happened, and had been reported by multiple aircraft. By the time we arrived on frequency, an ATC polling was ending as to who had seen what. Then approach polled each aircraft if they would file a report. It was: "Delta, no report." "Ah, Continental, negative." "Negative for Cactus", "no, we didn't really see anything," etc. (We felt cheated by being late.)

The following week, on the same trip, I saw the strangest thing I have ever seen, ever… physics be damned. I turned to my F/O and said, "Did you see that?" Unfortunately, he said "yes". Rather than report it – and have to go through the paperwork and incessant, "are you nuts" BS, we never said a thing.

And no, if you are not in an official capacity, will I tell to you, anymore today.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
My onwing in HTs told us a story on the way home from a XC about something he saw flying one night on cruise. Pretty interesting story, but I can't remember the specifics.