• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Carrier Landing Info

HuggyU2

None
Were the pilots CIA civilians or USAF, or both?
Flash, I'll have to go back and read up. I should know, but I haven't read about that in a long time. I'm 99% sure there were a few USAF pilots that were trained by the Navy pilots brought in to help.

If you guys know a Marine aviator by the name of McClung, his dad was an LSO on the America who waved the U-2. Side note: if any of you were at the massive Centennial of Naval Aviation event in San Diego in Feb 2011, he flew the privately owned A-4 in the event.
Also of note: I was the announcer for the entire event. I worked harder to prep for that event than any show I've ever done. It was awesome.

HuggyU2

None
Flash,

So I contacted Chris Pocock this morning. He is the world's smartest person on U-2 history.

The American pilots were all Agency guys. Ten of them total and three of them are still alive to my knowledge. Two of them are in Arizona. There are also two surviving Brit RAF pilots that went to see with the U-2.

Navy LT CDR Tom McMurtry was attached to the project and flew the U-2 in 1965, becoming the first Gold Winger (of many over the years) to do so.

Also, an RAF guy named Chunky Webster is the one credited with coming up with the landing procedures on the carrier. I will dig deeper on this, since it seems odd.

After 1969, the Navy became reluctant to provide a carrier. The Agency still wanted to retain the capability, so CIA pilots went to Pensacola and did their carrier quals in the T-2. Then they returned to Edwards North Base, where a Fresnel Lens and carrier outline markings were installed on the runway, and they did their U-2 'practice' there.

"50 Years of the U-2" is a huge book and has a ton of data. I don't think it is in print, but if anyone is really interested in the story of the U-2, email Chris (address is on his site) and see if he has any he is still selling.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash,

So I contacted Chris Pocock this morning. He is the world's smartest person on U-2 history.

The American pilots were all Agency guys. Ten of them total and three of them are still alive to my knowledge. Two of them are in Arizona. There are also two surviving Brit RAF pilots that went to see with the U-2.

Navy LT CDR Tom McMurtry was attached to the project and flew the U-2 in 1965, becoming the first Gold Winger (of many over the years) to do so.

Thanks a lot, appreciate you checking up on it.

Just as an FYI, we abbreviate it LCDR. ?

SlickAg

pilot
Flash, I'll have to go back and read up. I should know, but I haven't read about that in a long time. I'm 99% sure there were a few USAF pilots that were trained by the Navy pilots brought in to help.

If you guys know a Marine aviator by the name of McClung, his dad was an LSO on the America who waved the U-2. Side note: if any of you were at the massive Centennial of Naval Aviation event in San Diego in Feb 2011, he flew the privately owned A-4 in the event.
Also of note: I was the announcer for the entire event. I worked harder to prep for that event than any show I've ever done. It was awesome.
Beavis was a Navy dude.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

McClung sounds familiar. But probably not the same one. I did attend the Centennial, on the ramp at Miramar.....fluffing 2 jets, the second of which ended up flying in the flyover.....first one broke, second one (my first fluff job) broke too as I was starting up the third. Finally got off base and on the road in time to not be able to cross the Coronado bridge and my wife ended up entertaining my folks at NASNI. Oh well. I did my part. My old man (1950s-1970s VP pilot/nerd) had a great time!

Pags

N/A
pilot

My buddy, who always seems to manage to score a good deal, was one of the CNAF planners for that whole thing when it started off.

HuggyU2

None
Finally got off base and on the road in time to not be able to cross the Coronado bridge and my wife ended up entertaining my folks at NASNI.
I was there. The I-Bar was awesome. Met a ton of great folks, including the Navy's O-6 that was the lead historian for the CoNA event. Chatted with him outside the front door... which I could have spoken to him for an hour or two.

The announcer and AirBoss stand was up high on one of the NASNI buildings, right on the water, with a commanding view. I remember looking over at the Coronado Bridge right as the event started and noticing that the bridge was a parking lot, and nothing was moving at all. That looked painful.

That was an epic weekend.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How were the Agency pilots trained? USAF RTU/RAG, Lockheed, or in house? Any effort made to maintain a cover? As I recall, before the Powers shoot down CIA operation of U-2s was classified.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
McClung sounds familiar. But probably not the same one. I did attend the Centennial, on the ramp at Miramar.....fluffing 2 jets, the second of which ended up flying in the flyover.....first one broke, second one (my first fluff job) broke too as I was starting up the third. Finally got off base and on the road in time to not be able to cross the Coronado bridge and my wife ended up entertaining my folks at NASNI. Oh well. I did my part. My old man (1950s-1970s VP pilot/nerd) had a great time!
My memory of that event was the Shoguns getting a once-in-a-lifetime chance to do an air wing flyover at the end . . . and apparently ORMing themselves into the loosest cruise I’ve ever seen.