• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two SU-27's intercept B-52 over the Black Sea

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
The Third World War is a great read…I love the opening.
Never planned to take Iceland, really. Just like early Midway operation by Imperial Japanese military, that time Soviet Army did interfere with "no troops for that", and called naval staff planners fucking idiots: you bastards could take any island but by which way, for God's sake, would you supply the troops over there? So get used to the simple thought: you are for us, period.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Clancy was just unwittingly ahead of his time with the idea of embarking a dipper on a smallboy.

The hangar on the Spruances could fit an H-3 (there were tiedown points labelled as such) and definitely fit a 60F (60B's Irish twin). I'm not so sure about the Perrys being able to swallow an H-3 (the folded up 60 just barely fit) and I don't have a copy of the ships resume to look it up anyway. The Navy has embarked helos on hangarless Flight 1 Burkes for short periods, left them out in the weather (obviously) and used a lot of fresh water to fight the salt buildup. I mean tactically embarked with a mini det footprint, not just lily padding or overnighting because of unusual circumstances.

Either way, Clancy's poetic license to have a 60F cooperating with RBJ isn't far fetched at all.
There may have been times in the late 80s that more than 3 helos were embarked on an OHP frigate.

Prime Chance