• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turn down the Navy?

sullicd

Probably been asked somewhere on here in a similar capacity before, but I'll inform y'all of my current predicament.

I started applying for a SNA slot my senior year of college (2019), had an unremarkable 3.1 GPA and was Commercial IFR ASEL & AMEL rated at the time, I did fairly well on the on the OAR and ASTB, with a 65 9/9/9.

My application however, took forever. It was an absolute mess dealing with MEPS through COVID and being passed down through various recruiters retiring/moving on (and not telling me).

Being disillusioned and re-illusioned multiple times, I got accepted for SNA in November of 2021 for an OCS date next month October 2022.

During the time of my package taking years to be put through, I got my CFI, CFII, MEI, ASES and most importantly ATP this June with a regional airline flying E170s on the west coast (Take a wild guess...) Now I have ~2000TT and ~200 Turbine (I've been lazy with my logbook)

I'm 25, about to get a decent pay raise should the TA go through and will most likely be at a major within 1-2 years based on how the hiring is going.

QOL, my wallet, and my freedom are all shouting to stay the course and turn down the Navy for a decent civilian career, given that I don't fuck it up. Going to the Navy would essentially forfeit 10 years of seniority. I'm already bored of the flying. I don't think I could take 39 more years of this monotony.

I would most likely regret not going to the Navy. I feel as though I haven't truly been challenged in my life, and feel as though the experience would make me a better human being as well as pilot.

Thinking about timeline, if I go Navy it'll be months (years?) out of the cockpit until I earn my wings and go on deployment.

I go through periods of thinking I can't possibly deny this opportunity, that the experience is just too invaluable to give up for the money and relative stability the airlines would provide. Then flip the next day and think about how much money and QOL/freedom I would be giving up for the Navy. The current hiring and movement in the airline industry is unprecedented, and I would be missing out.

Anything I'm missing? Any insight/wisdom from folks who chose to serve over the airlines? I appreciate any and all input.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Probably been asked somewhere on here

Yes it has. It seems like monthly a random poster will come out and post a Forrest Gump - like story and ask the same airlines versus naval aviation question.

Do yourself a big favor and use the search / scroll function to find similar posts, but more importantly the answers to make your decision.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Probably been asked somewhere on here in a similar capacity before, but I'll inform y'all of my current predicament.

I started applying for a SNA slot my senior year of college (2019), had an unremarkable 3.1 GPA and was Commercial IFR ASEL & AMEL rated at the time, I did fairly well on the on the OAR and ASTB, with a 65 9/9/9.

My application however, took forever. It was an absolute mess dealing with MEPS through COVID and being passed down through various recruiters retiring/moving on (and not telling me).

Being disillusioned and re-illusioned multiple times, I got accepted for SNA in November of 2021 for an OCS date next month October 2022.

During the time of my package taking years to be put through, I got my CFI, CFII, MEI, ASES and most importantly ATP this June with a regional airline flying E170s on the west coast (Take a wild guess...) Now I have ~2000TT and ~200 Turbine (I've been lazy with my logbook)

I'm 25, about to get a decent pay raise should the TA go through and will most likely be at a major within 1-2 years based on how the hiring is going.

QOL, my wallet, and my freedom are all shouting to stay the course and turn down the Navy for a decent civilian career, given that I don't fuck it up. Going to the Navy would essentially forfeit 10 years of seniority. I'm already bored of the flying. I don't think I could take 39 more years of this monotony.

I would most likely regret not going to the Navy. I feel as though I haven't truly been challenged in my life, and feel as though the experience would make me a better human being as well as pilot.

Thinking about timeline, if I go Navy it'll be months (years?) out of the cockpit until I earn my wings and go on deployment.

I go through periods of thinking I can't possibly deny this opportunity, that the experience is just too invaluable to give up for the money and relative stability the airlines would provide. Then flip the next day and think about how much money and QOL/freedom I would be giving up for the Navy. The current hiring and movement in the airline industry is unprecedented, and I would be missing out.

Anything I'm missing? Any insight/wisdom from folks who chose to serve over the airlines? I appreciate any and all input.
Honestly, with the way hiring is going if your end goal is to be a legacy airline pilot I’d recommend skipping Active Duty all together. Stay, upgrade at your regional, join the guard where you’ll know what you’ll fly based on what the unit has.

There are economic risks involved but even if the music stops for a bit you’ll still be years ahead on a seniority list at your final destination compared to after your 10-12 year hiatus from the airlines.

Last edited:

TyKing

pilot

Ask yourself if you really want to be in the Navy. If you just want to fly Jets, I'd just try and apply to an Air National Guard or Air Force reserve unit that flies fighters; that way if you're picked up you are at least guaranteed jets as long as you make it through pilot training. There's a lot that goes into being in the Navy than just the flying. You have to be good with all of that because its a long commitment as a Naval Aviator. Lastly if you go Navy you could go Helos, are you okay with that?

Having said that, I think serving in the U.S Navy as a Naval Aviator is an incredible opportunity, and as an SNA I would 10/10 go this route again. You have the opportunity to fly some of the most advanced fighters, helicopters, and big wing aircraft in the world. As a war fighting organization the Navy has such a rich history and being apart of it is awesome. I'm prior enlisted and I have been in the military for 7 years now, it does take a lot of sacrifice and a lot of dedication from you and your family but I think it's worth it.

exNavyOffRec

I'm already bored of the flying. I don't think I could take 39 more years of this monotony.
You said you are already bored of flying, and then you talk about losing 10 years of seniority but if you don't like flying and don't keep flying with an airline than that seniority wouldn't matter.

If you decline the USN you can't go back, but if you walk away from the airlines you can go back.

Meyerkord

pilot
I'm already bored of the flying
I don't think I could take 39 more years of this monotony
I would most likely regret not going to the Navy
feel as though the experience would make me a better human being as well as pilot

Sounds like you may already have your answer. Money vs. experience. The choice is yours.

Thing is... you can still have a successful airline career after the military if you want. If you choose to get out at MSR, there's still a healthy 30 year career ahead of you. Yes you'll miss out on seniority, but who really cares if it's making you miserable already?

Best of luck to ya.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
This seems like the 10th thread on this subject. I've written longer replies elsewhere. Bottom line: I'd rather spend ten years as a Naval Aviator than 40+ as an airline pilot, but that's just me and my personal bias. I also don't think I'd want to do any single professional thing for 40+ years. Everyone's different. The Navy, and military in general, is an incredible and life-changing experience that gives your life purpose beyond making a buck.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Fuck it, I'll bite:

If you're already bored at your airline, make a change. It sounds like you've done all the work already, and your bags are packed. If you end up not liking the USN, at least you won't be bored anymore, and you'll have some options outside of airlines if you decide to get out and the majors aren't hiring. You have a solid foundation to kick ass in flight school if you show up with a good attitude and work hard (don't assume you know it already).

You're also counting on another 2+ years of solid hiring at the majors, which pilot numbers support, but the economy and governmental environment may not. Anything could happen, and your airline gameplan could fall apart in a heartbeat. I've been there. In the Navy, you'll still have a job if/when the economy tanks.

Either way, just don't ever become that 40+ year old pilot who says "I could have been a Navy pilot, but..."

Nobody listens to that guy.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a recently retired airline pilot of over 30 years I can say the OP has already probably experienced 75% of everything a 30 year airline career will be. And I obviously came up in similar fashion as the OP.
Boredom is a factor in airline flying. You just have to figure you are compensated enough in wages, schedule, etc, to put up with it. But if you want to minimize boredom flying, military flying is the ticket. And your compensation will include far more than a wage.

Pcoola19

If there are still no strings attached to going OCS->Flight School and you can gtfo if you hate it, worth a shot. Worst that happens is you lose a few years of seniority, but you’ll never have that “what-if” feeling.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If there are still no strings attached to going OCS->Flight School and you can gtfo if you hate it, worth a shot. Worst that happens is you lose a few years of seniority, but you’ll never have that “what-if” feeling.
Don't know how likely they are to do it these days, but there very much is the possibility you don't just walk away from flight school for a DOR. OCS, yup. Flight school, maybe not. Someone probably has seen it lately and can comment. But keep in mind, walking away is based on discretion in applying a nominal policy that says you stay in and serve. Might be different some time in the future.

Meyerkord

pilot
Don't know how likely they are to do it these days, but there very much is the possibility you don't just walk away from flight school for a DOR. OCS, yup. Flight school, maybe not. Someone probably has seen it lately and can comment. But keep in mind, walking away is based on discretion in applying a nominal policy that says you stay in and serve. Might be different some time in the future.
I haven’t heard of anyone being denied a DOR and remaining in flight school. That’s probably not safe for anyone. They would either redesignate or be adsep’d from what I saw. Anyone who doesn’t want to fly isn’t going to be forced to.