• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turkey making noises about US future in Incirlik

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be more interested in whether anyone in this administration is doing an in depth cost/benefit analysis of NATO severing ties w/ Turkey. No doubt, that would be a monumental win for Russia, but going through the process would be fascinating.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m doubtful Pootie would allow such a thing, particularly under the current administration. This is grasping at straws.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’m doubtful Pootie would allow such a thing, particularly under the current administration. This is grasping at straws.
It would certainly be a red line for Putin. If such a sale were approved by both Turkey and the United States (unlikely), I would bet Russia would use any means necessary to sabotage or prevent the arrangement, to include tampering with or destroying equipment.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The discussion in these last few posts makes me wonder. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's a bit too wild an idea to actually happen. "Alleviate the impasse?" maybe, but all I read between the lines is the U.S. Senate saying to Putin, "F you."

When the Russians sold that weapons system to the Turks in the first place, that was a pretty big FU from Russia to us (pretty clever and opportunistic on their part, I can't say I blame them for making that move).

The great game continues.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The discussion in these last few posts makes me wonder. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's a bit too wild an idea to actually happen. "Alleviate the impasse?" maybe, but all I read between the lines is the U.S. Senate saying to Putin, "F you."

When the Russians sold that weapons system to the Turks in the first place, that was a pretty big FU from Russia to us (pretty clever and opportunistic on their part, I can't say I blame them for making that move).

The great game continues.
Erdogan wants Gülen. There’s your pawn.

Other game pieces:

A Turkish F-16 shot down a Russian Su-24 in 2015, IVO Turkish-Syrian border
Russia imposed sanctions and boycotted Turkish tourist resorts in retaliation
Turkey and Russia both fought against the Kurds/YPG in Syria
Russia wants unfettered access to the Med through the Dardanelles (Montreaux)
Turkey and Russia are currently both fighting a proxy war in Libya, on opposing sides

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but some poor sucker still has to brush the dust off, change the slide format, sanity-check the whole thing, and have the obligatory pre-GOFO sync. :)
Had an Intel bud deployed to USFK when things got hot in the '90s to do just this thing. When it was possible they might activate 5027, they changed it. It was under active revision as things heated up.