• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turbulence and Flight Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDriver

Goodmorning,

This site is getting bigger and more complex. Years ago there were only few topics to read...
Well, I have a Physics question for NFO's (and Pilots). I have to write this paper on my engineering physics class and you guys have the experience and actual knowledge on this one:

How do Pilots and NFO's know that there is turbulence along the flight path (ahead). Can you give an explanation using physics? (Using Reynolds number and Fluid flow dynamics). If not - can you explain it in layman's terms?

EXTRA for SWO's:
Why do ships make a 45 degree (not 25, 60 or whatever) direction, opposite to a wind coming against it's path?

And some cases how does it continue to go straight against it inspite?

Thank you.

beau

A good indicator would be High winds in General. The more the direction changes with altitude, the higher the turblence. Also, in genernal, the winds from the surface to about 1000 feet are more turbulent then the air above due to surface friction and convection from solar heating of the earths surface. The real bad turbulence comes with Thunderstorms (obviously) and mountain winds.
In so far as anwsering your question on being able to "see" turblence, I would say Thunderstorms and lenticular clouds would be your only "visual" indication of turbulence. As Junkie was saying PIREPS seem to be the only indicator of Clear air Turbulence. This is just crap I learned from my Civy/College flying experiance.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.