• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tsunami Survivors Sue Warning Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149779,00.html

These greedy, ungrateful sons of b!tches. That's right, you can send your military, your government money, and your private donations to help masses and masses of people in need, and there will always be some piece of sh!t to try something like this.

Bunk22, what's your input?

Tsunami Survivors Sue Warning Center

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Associated Press

HONOLULU — Tsunami survivors and relatives of victims have sued the federal agency that operates the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (search), alleging the center did not do enough to warn people about the disaster.

The lawsuit was filed last week in New York (search) federal court by a plaintiffs group that includes at least 58 European survivors and family members of victims.

The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (search) Pacific Tsunami Warning Center monitors seismic and ocean conditions in the Pacific Basin and issues warnings to member nations. It is based on the Hawaiian island of Oahu.

NOAA officials refused to comment on the complaint but have previously said the center was not set up to warn nations outside the Pacific rim.

A Dec. 26 earthquake caused the massive tsunami that killed at least 166,000 people in 11 countries on the Indian Ocean.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You've seen the crap they sue for in this country, right?

Dude.... damn you for your avatar.

KBayDog

My question: What took them so long? We all knew this was coming; I just can't believe they waited this amount of time.

Great idea: Sue the government for millions, then cry when taxes are too high (to pay for the damages, and to "prevent" this from happening again), there are extra-stringent regulations for everything, when there is a "police state," blah, blah, blah...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm not going to agree with this lawsuit, but after catching a documentary on just what happened at the warning center, there are a couple of things that pissed me off. First of all, the geologists, seismologists, or whatever they're called were all a bunch of long-haired, eco-terrorist wannabes. The guy responsible for initially reporting the earthquake said something along the lines of, "Yeah, I knew that I had to get the word out ASAP, so I got on my bike and rode the mile+." When he was querried as to why he would RIDE A BICYCLE to warn multiple nations of a serious impending natural disaster, this guy said that he didn't own a car because they hurt the environment. (I bet not owning that car's a big comfort now, seeing as you might have saved a few of those hundreds of thousands of people who died, huh buddy?) Second, the warning center botched the analysis of the earthquake, and initially reported it to be of a far lower magnitude than it really was. They're response as to why? Because they didn't believe that an earthquake that big could happen. Uh, RIGHT. I say, let the affected countries compete for creative punishments for these people. A few less hippie-types for me to deal with.

KBayDog

Nice post, patmack, and nice avatar - my cats loved it.

This suit is asinine. It is no different than suing the FAA for not notifying us that there were four planes that deviated from their flight plans.

I hope these guys - noting that they are mainly EUROPEANS - enjoy their 15 minutes.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Doesn't surprise me. Have to blame someone I guess. I wonder if those people in Indonesia are angry with their own government? Afterall, they did nothing until after we showed up and began the process. Tough one for them I suppose, they simply weren't prepared but is that an excuse? The government even made it tough for us to fly within their airspace. A week into it, an Indonesian warship (not sure what type) interrogated the carrier. They were actually unaware that a very large US ship, a carrier, was in their waters to aid their people. Good communication :confused: Though judging by the competance of their air traffic controllers, it doesn't surprise me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
More hippies at work

azfirebillboard.jpg
What a great billboard. Even better if it's not a Photoshop deal.

As for the Tsunami Warning Center, I saw the same doccumentary. Even though the staff there is kind of whack and kind of dropped the ball, they still aren't really equipped to cover the area outside of the Pacific Ocean. They were really just going off the seismic data when accurate tsunami prediction requires different kinds of sensors that were not available in the IO. I'll bet a paycheck that the class action idiots won't get dime one from anybody.

Good times,

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.