• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA Precheck for Military

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
So, TSA just amended their TSA Precheck rules. All military members with a CAC card are now eligible. When booking your tickets, you have to put your DOD ID number in as your Known Traveler Number. The Precheck logo should be put on your boarding pass.

With some extra effort, you can pretend like you were flying in 2000.

Reference:
http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/military-members

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
As a side note for those who booked tickets prior to this: if you do not have the TSA pre-check on your boarding pass you cannot go through the pre-check line even if you have a valid CAC unless you are in uniform.
I have a known traveler number (global entry) but my husband does not. We traveled over the holidays (after the TSA adopted this) but had booked our tickets well before. The airlines were unable to add the DOD number and put the pre-check on my husband's ticket. TSA would not let him go through the pre-check screening since he wasn't in uniform. What made it amusing was that his entire uniform was in the garment bag he was using as his carry on.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As a side note for those who booked tickets prior to this: if you do not have the TSA pre-check on your boarding pass you cannot go through the pre-check line even if you have a valid CAC unless you are in uniform.
I have a known traveler number (global entry) but my husband does not. We traveled over the holidays (after the TSA adopted this) but had booked our tickets well before. The airlines were unable to add the DOD number and put the pre-check on my husband's ticket. TSA would not let him go through the pre-check screening since he wasn't in uniform. What made it amusing was that his entire uniform was in the garment bag he was using as his carry on.

I actually did exactly this on my leg out during Xmas. I called up Delta and had them add the DoD number on my ticket before I showed up to the airport. When the boarding pass printed up, it had the Pre-Check stamp on there and I sailed through the line. I didn't try it on the way back (with SWA/AirTran) since I wasn't traveling by myself, so my only experience was with Delta. It may be how on the ball a particular airline is.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Not true. I've flown since this was implemented and the TSA agent at the start of the security line directed me to the pre-check line when I showed my CAC and my DOD ID wasn't on my ticket.

Like everything, I guess it depends.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not true. I've flown since this was implemented and the TSA agent at the start of the security line directed me to the pre-check line when I showed my CAC and my DOD ID wasn't on my ticket.

Like everything, I guess it depends.
Same here. It was a pleasant surprise.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot

With United and I assume many airlines, you can access your reservation online and then enter your KTN in the edit traveler info section. That is what I did with my flight home for Xmas leave two days before leaving after booking tickets about 2 months in advance. I ended up with TSA Precheck on all boarding passes.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
SeaTac doesn't seem to care, they sent me straight in. It's even on their sign outside the security lines.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
SeaTac and BWI let me through but Houston-Bush did not so I guess it depends on the airport. Great system though and I highly recommend it.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin

You should be able to add a KTN when you check-in for the flight.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While the Federal Security Director at each airport can adopt slightly different procedure that may account for the differing experiences reported here, it is just as likely the TSA Officer didn't know his job. :(

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
SEATAC, O'Hare, and Dulles did not care about it being on my boarding pass for my holiday travel, but I will add it for the next trip!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind, TSA PreCheck is not the same as Customs and Border Patrol's Global Entry Program, I have a family member who simply does not understand this and thinks he can use the kiosks at Customs now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind, TSA PreCheck is not the same as Customs and Border Patrol's Global Entry Program, I have a family member who simply does not understand this and thinks he can use the kiosks at Customs now.
He will just have to learn the hard way.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Signing up for Global Entry earlier this year was well worth it and has saved me quite a bit of time bypassing customs lines when flying internationally. The wife has been dragging her heels getting signed up and I dread the domestic fallout of me waving goodbye and going through the TSA precheck line and leaving her in the longer line through security.

Renegade One

None
My lovely bride and I were both cleared for "Pre-Check" for our holiday visit to Texas…I assume this was more because of our age than anything else. Lasted until I "beeped" through the gate…because I was allowed to leave my belt and other stuff on. Then I was offered the choices of "back off and do it the old fashioned way"…or take a wand/pat-down. Since I was wearing a knee-brace, I opted for the latter. 20 minutes later…FREEDOM!

I noted with interest that we were not offered the same courtesy on our return flight. I can only assume that this is a "pass/fail" course…?